I'm Buying A '94 Es 300

For $8,300...I caved in after test-driving the car again today and couldn't resist. It's in very good condition...only 85,000 miles. I've still got to work out the loan details, insurance, and get the car registered in my name, but I've basically agreed to buy the car. Anything I should know in particular about the 1994? I am aware that the timing belt may need to be changed somewhere not too far down the line...this doesn't bother me too much and I plan on having this car serviced at a Toyota dealer at regular intervals...I'm willing to throw money into the car if I can make it last 200,000+ miles. Anyway, any thoughts?

My Thoughts: I traded in my(Bought new)'94ES with 53,000 miles and the dealer allowed me $8600 on a trade in on a '03ES. My car was absolutely perfect w/ new brakes & tires. He put it out in his used car area for $11,750. It was scooped up immediately. I think you did very well pricewise. In the 9 years I owned this car I had 1 problem that the dealer fixed under warranty and that was moisture getting into right rear tailight. He replaced the whole unit in about 45 minutes. All in all this was the best car I have ever owned to date and I hope my new one gives me as good service.

Good luck, Alan

Picture of car a week before trade in.

Lexus.jpg

Thanks. Also, what is typically done at the 90K service interval? Is it really necessary for me to take it to a Toyota or Lexus dealer at this point? I'll probably get it to 90K by October or November...how much will this typically run me? I'd be willing to spend money if I can significantly prolong the life of the car this way...

probably tune up witch includes spark plugs,air filter,oil change and maybe a trans flush would be a good idea.check and make sure it wasnt done already so you dont waist your money.just take a look at the trans fluid and see if its still nice and redish pink or more of a brown dirty color.if it is brown looking and smells weird then get the vtech flush done.not just a new filter and fluid but a vtech.they pump it out with a macheine.also check the anti freeze and make sure thats not rusty looking or brown.if it is get the same done to it a good flush and make sure they put the red coolant in it dont use the green.thats about it really.as long as you keep up with it then it should last a long time for you.

one more thing.maybe a fuel cleaning like i just had done.they hook up a bottle of sulotion to the vacum line near the brake and pump in cleaning soluition.that will really help and with all that stuff dont to it then i dont think you will have a worry.

It would be great if you could get the cars history, and maybe find out who the previous owner was. If you could track him/her down and if he/she is a nice person you could find out more details of what was done in the past........you'd really be ahead of the game and possibly save you some $$$$ instead of doing all the suggested maintenance all over again. ;)

Alan

Actually, I am buying the car from a private seller...he is the 2nd owner but he bought it when it was only 2 years old (right after it came off a lease). He has almost all of the service records...tires are close to brand new, exhaust system is new, brakes are a bit worn but still serviceable and should last for another year or so...I took it to a mechanic and he said it was in excellent mechanical shape. However, I don't believe the owner said he took it in for 90K service yet...although I'll definitely ask to make sure.

Is it necessary to take it to a Toyota or Lexus dealer though? Or would I be just as well off taking it to a trusted non-dealer, and save the money?

It's true that if you take the car to a Lexus dealership you're going to spend a lot more for this maintenance.....but you could have peace of mind that the car will be serviced properly, unless you know of a good mechanic that has the necessary qualifications to do this work. I would get an estimate from Lexus first and than take it from there. :rolleyes:

Alan

well,i dont think changing the oil or putting spark plugs in will be a factor no matter were you take it.lexus will overcharge you.you can take it to a local place and have it done much cheaper.unless you plan on changing the timing belt then i would say take it to lexus but for minor stuff like tune ups i wouldnt recommend lexus dealerships.they really kill you with money.find out what the owner did to it and stuff he didnt do then i would get done.one for sure to check with is the radiator and trans flush and also a good fuel cleaning wont hurt.

OK, I know he told me he changed tranny fluid recently...not sure about radiator and if it's had a fuel cleaning.

Also, this was something I completely forgot to ask in the 3 times I've looked at the car - how likely is it that the shocks have been replaced at 85,000 miles? I'll be sure to ask him, but the car's ride was beautifully smooth and quiet - although this was after driving a few hours in a '92 Toyota Tercel. They sure didn't feel worn just from driving the thing...but you never know...is this something urgent? Because I know replacing the shocks would be pricey and while I wouldn't mind spending the money to do this I'd rather wait another year or so when I'll have a better grasp on my finances (and most of the car paid off as I am a college student).

Another thing that occurred to me - when I drove the car for the final time the other day, a small portion of the speedometer needle was burnt out...the rest of it was fine. Is this indicative of a gauge cluster problem? It's something I'm willing to live with to be honest, on an otherwise very nice car, but is this something to be concerned about?

well if its only a little bit of the light out then dont worry about it but sooner or later mostly sooner it will spread thru the whole needle and also the other ones will start to go out as well.when that happens then you will have to replace it but right now i would just live with it.

Sounds good...how hard is it to read the speedometer at night with the needle completely burnt out?

Anyway, my main concern was the mechanical condition of the car - it runs excellently and was highly recommended by the 2 mechanics I had look at it. I'm willing to put a little money into it to keep it running in top shape. I just saw a local ad for a '96 ES 300 with 87k miles for only $7,000, and the ad claims it's in excellent condition!!!!! I'm a little sick to my stomach that I'm paying $1300 more for a 2 year older car....but $7,000 is freaking over $3,000 below Kelley Blue Book Value for a '96 ES 300 in "excellent condition" with 87K miles, so that would probably make me nervous...or maybe this guy is truly ignorant about used car pricing. Either way...damn, I wish I had the chance to at least check this one out before settling on the '94...I feel a bit sick over this for now. Hopefully the feeling will pass as soon as I get the keys to this car, which I'm looking very forward to.

I think you need to replace the timing belt when it approaches 90K. Many car owners will claim "excellent condition" but in really it might fall short from that. I got my 93 ES300(110k) 1yr +8 months ago for $9k out the door. The car was in excellent condition when I got it. Previous owner kept every single maintenance record in the Lexus maintenance book. Since I got the car, I had to change the radiator 8 months ago, A/C compressor last month, and the usual oil change. Now my car is at 151k and I still consider it to be in excellent condition. The blue book value on this is at 8k and I was gonna sell it for 5.5k - 6k so I can get a new 04 330Ci. But now that I just installed a new head unit, I think I'll keep the car a tad bit longer.

Here are some pictures of the head unit.

8500-1.jpg

8500-2.jpg

8500-3.jpg