Code Required If I Disconnect The Battery?

Hi all...I have a 1998 ES300. I can't seem to find any info to confirm that IF I disconnect the battery, will I require to enter anti-theft codes to the Radio (factory installed radio) and or to turn on the car? I bought this car used...obviously I don't have any codes. I am trying to put in a new alarm with auto-start, but that would need to disconnect the battery. I want to make sure the radio still works and I can start the car after that.

it wont ask you for codes unless you entered one in the radio and activated the security in it.i think you will be fine disconnecting the battery.heres the easy way to check.there should be some kind of light that either flashes or stays red when you get out the car and lock the doors on the radio.not the security alarm light but a different one that tells you its activated in the radio.if you dont see anything then your fine.

bbsal,

I can only recall that there is only 1 security light that blinks after I lock the car. I will confirm that when I get home later. Is this flashing red light (whatever light) on the radio display? Or near the security light?

People also warning me about if I disconnect the battery, I will have to reset the computer...etc, is that true?

thanks!

On a '94 ES that I had previously, the only thing that happened when I replaced the battery was the radio lost it's memory on the pre-set stations.

Alan

no problem.also your computer will relearn everything anyway.the only thing you will have to do is re set the preset stations on the radio becuase it will lose them in memory but thats not a big deal at all.