New Owner Of A '94 Ls400

mason

Greetings from Dallas!

We just took delivery of a '94 LS400 in our "dream" color of black jade with black leather interior. The car is in good overall condition with 155K miles, and we were absolutely thrilled with the price and our experience with the seller.

Now, to the issues at hand. The car needs:

(1) Right front turn signal fixed. The rear one works, although the indicator (as well as the rear amber light) flashes very rapidly. Is this an easy DIY job, and where do I find bulbs, etc?

(2) The main interior dome light does not work. (I have tried all three of the settings on the switch; nothing.) Same questions as above.

(3) There is a malfunction with the hood latch. The hood pops open via the dash mechanism; however, when it's time to close the hood, the "catch" will not revert in such a way as to allow the hood to latch. It requires some fiddling with the interior component.

(4) The power antenna motor works its little heart out to no avail, meaning that it doesn't elevate or lower the antenna. That can be done by hand with ease, and there doesn't seem to be a crimp in the mast.

(5) Neither the water pump nor the timing belt has been replaced. The seller, who has owned the car for the past seven years and logged the bulk of the mileage, said his Lexus mechanic had advised against replacing these components because they did not show signs of wear. We're inclined to take preventive measures in lieu of chances. Opinions on this, please.

(6) The car is currently riding on relatively new Tokico struts, which the former owner had installed so he could try the experience of a stiffer ride and more precise handling. Not liking this after all, he purchased new OEM struts for the car, which were included with the sale. How expensive/complicated is the conversion to spec struts? This is not a pressing problem in my opinion, as the ride and handling are not unpleasant--just more like a BMW than an LS.

That's it for now. I welcome any advice, opinions, recommendations, and instructions that you might have to offer.

Oh, and we always name our cars. We're still pondering what to call this one. Our pristine and pampered '97 Acura TL is named "Misty," for both the song and her color (Desert Mist); and our beloved '83 Toyota Cressida (with nearly 200K miles) is named "Choco Latte," for his color (dark brown with cream interior) and our affinity for Starbucks beverages. Call us sick and twisted; we don't care. And we welcome your suggestions on names for our new baby.

Thanks!

1) A burned out bulb in the signal circuit will cause rapid light blinking. Replace all burned out exterior bulbs. Go to Pepboys for bulbs.

2) Replace burned bulbs.

4) Since you can easily rise & lower the mast, sound like a broken plastic mast winding cable. Clear the antenna motor mechanism of broken pieces and replace with new mast.

5) Hard to believe 155K belt isn't worn, sound like the seller pulled a fast excuse on you. My 150K belt was quite worn when replaced.

The name that comes to mind is "Lexokico" for your Lex-BMW hybrid ride.

Welcome the the club and enjoy your "new" car! :cheers:

I bought a 1994 LS400 about a year ago, and I couldn't be happier. 109 K miles. I'm not a do-it-yourself guy, but I have done a lot of casual work on the car. Remember, it's now 11 years old, and nothing lasts forever. It's actually fun to do some of the work, such as replacing bulbs, etc.

The front bulbs on the bumper are easily replaced. Look for the exposed screws, and take the cover off. The dome light was off on my car, too. Simply take a knife, insert it between the cover and the frame, and carefully pop off the cover. All the lights can be obtained at any local car parts place-Never go to Lexus-They need to wear masks, Kemo Sabe.

The antenna is easy to replace-I bought one on EBay for $19 plus shipping. You simply remove the old one, stick the new one in place, start up the radio, and the mast motor catches the new plastic tail. And it works great.

I replaced 8 bulbs on my car. I changed Logo's, replaced the brake pads, etc. Again, you have an old car, and a spray can of lubricant can work wonders with doors, trunks, hoods, etc. Best of luck.. And this forum is a great place to ask questions

Greetings from Dallas!

We just took delivery of a '94 LS400 in our "dream" color of black jade with black leather interior.  The car is in good overall condition with 155K miles, and we were absolutely thrilled with the price and our experience with the seller. 

Now, to the issues at hand.  The car needs:

(1) Right front turn signal fixed.  The rear one works, although the indicator (as well as the rear amber light) flashes very rapidly.  Is this an easy DIY job, and where do I find bulbs, etc?

(2) The main interior dome light does not work.  (I have tried all three of the settings on the switch; nothing.) Same questions as above.  

(3) There is a malfunction with the hood latch.  The hood pops open via the dash mechanism; however, when it's time to close the hood, the "catch" will not revert in such a way as to allow the hood to latch.  It requires some fiddling with the interior component. 

(4) The power antenna motor works its little heart out to no avail, meaning that it doesn't elevate or lower the antenna.  That can be done by hand with ease, and there doesn't seem to be a crimp in the mast. 

(5) Neither the water pump nor the timing belt has been replaced.  The seller, who has owned the car for the past seven years and logged the bulk of the mileage, said his Lexus mechanic had advised against replacing these components because they did not show signs of wear.  We're inclined to take preventive measures in lieu of chances.  Opinions on this, please.

(6) The car is currently riding on relatively new Tokico struts, which the former owner had installed so he could try the experience of a stiffer ride and more precise handling.  Not liking this after all, he purchased new OEM struts for the car, which were included with the sale.  How expensive/complicated is the conversion to spec struts?  This is not a pressing problem in my opinion, as the ride and handling are not unpleasant--just more like a BMW than an LS. 

That's it for now.  I welcome any advice, opinions, recommendations, and instructions that you might have to offer. 

Oh, and we always name our cars.  We're still pondering what to call this one.  Our pristine and pampered '97 Acura TL is named "Misty," for both the song and her color (Desert Mist); and our beloved '83 Toyota Cressida (with nearly 200K miles) is named "Choco Latte," for his color (dark brown with cream interior) and our affinity for Starbucks beverages.  Call us sick and twisted; we don't care.  And we welcome your suggestions on names for our new baby.

Thanks!

I will gladly take a look in person. Give me a ring, 817-485-(REMOVE_ME_FIRST)3857. Im in Ft worth. but after 2:30 pm on saturday im free. ask for Josh. I will be happy to drive and meet you or simply come to your place of residence if you wish.

im also free on sundays after 1:00PM and between 245pm and 5:pm im free weekdays.

Email me at Lonely_alaskan@hotmail.com with the adress if you wish. im right in the neighborhood! :D

if you dont knwo about him already, JP Imports is a FANTASTIC place to go. im actually driving one of his loaners right now. he is doing a major repair on my car, woudl have totalled over $3000 at the dealer, and he is doing it for just over $1,000. he gives you a free car to drive while he works on yours, the only thing he asks in return is that you fill up the tank, and he wont even ask that. he is 45 minutes from you in garland. i STRONGLY reccomend him for your repairs, he can do your timing belt and water pump in 1 day. and he can probably change out the struts for$200 in another half a day. i wouldnt put anything past this guy, he isLOC's own personal miracle worker :) .

DCP02314.sized.jpg

theres his phone # (on the banner) and his shop. http://www.jpimportz.org

once again, my schedule is:

M-Th: 245pm-500pm

Fri: 245pm-whenever.

Sat: whenever, but this weekend i have to work, so after 2:45pm

Sun: After Church; so after 1:00pm.

and if your wondering, im not a deranged lunatic or anything. just a friendly LOC member whose local and wishes to help. Blake918 or JPI, both have met me on more than one occasion. B)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Okay, I've tackled the antenna mast, and I'm feeling quite pathetic. I followed the instructions, and I got as far as trying to pull out the old mast.

I underdid the nut that supposedly secured the mast, I extended the antenna using an AM station, and then I pulled and I pulled and I pulled, and the old antenna mast would not come up. Is there a screw or nut that is holding the mast (besides the gold, polished nut that had to be taken off first).

Any help would be appreciated.

And has anybody used http://www.alldatadiy.com/? It's an online repository of service manuals, and it costs $25 a year for the first car. I'm wondering if it's worth the investment. Thanks!

Let's talk about the removal sequence for the antenna:

You took the nut off.

You turned the radio on.

You ran back, and grabbed the antenna as it was extending

You kept pulling on the antenna until the tail ran out of the gears inside the antenna motor.

Then you fed the new antenna tail into the motor well, ran to the radio and shut it off

You ran back to the antenna, and helped it retract into the motor well. Then you installed the antenna nut, adjusting the height of the retracted antenna flush with the nut.

It worked for me, and I'm a dope. Best of luck. Run, run, run.

Alldata is a must in my opinion. You will learn about all the tsb "technical service bulletins" for your year, and suggestions on upgraded parts Lexus has developed for your car. One in particular is a differential mounting update. Hey, you'll spend at least $25 at dinner taking your girl out for a night on the town in your new LS400, so what's $25 for the knowledge? I've got a 95, and Alldata, plus these forums, have saved me thousands of dollars by going in to the dealer blind "it's broke, please fix it". LS400's are awesome cars, but like any older car, you are best to understand how it works, so you know what needs to be fixed. Just ask Army, he's saved my tail a few hundred already.