Looks Like A X-mas Tree

Lex-us01

All,

My 2001 RX300 (56K miles) was full of surprises this am. The following three lights stayed on:

VSC :cries:

Check Engine :cries:

Track Off (pressing the track button doesn't help) :cries:

I tried to restart the RX several times to no avail inorder to turn them off. It's a little odd that all three came on at once all of the sudden. As well, I had to reconnect on Sunday (2 days ago) the neg. bat. cable, it come loses. Before i head to Autozone does anyone sugguest any other course of action.

Thanks in Advance!!!!!! Go Eagles!

Hi,

My 2001 with 67K had the same lights come on after I accidentally got some of the engine degreaser I was using on the front Oxygen sensor. I reset the codes a few times by pulling the fuse for the ECU's memory. After several drives the heat cleaned up the contaminated Oxygen sensor and I have had no problems or warning lights since. I doubt this is your situation, but at least you know all three lights can result from just one problem. Good luck.

Russ

Clean, burnish, and re-tighten all of your battery cables again.

Have you recently purchased gasoline from a station that you don't usually visit?

Did you run your fuel tank within an eyelash of empty before refueling?

Have you been working with any cleaning chemicals under your hood?

Once you've ruled out the above possibilities, your trouble codes are probably going to point to a failing sensor. Many of us have dealt with mass air flow sensors, air/fuel ratio sensors, the various oxygen sensors, etc., so we're familiar with quite a few of the codes. Get them read, post them here, and several folks will have some suggestions for you to try before you decide to spend big bucks that you may not need to.

Russ, thanks for the info. Odd design by Lexus to have all three come on. Oh well so much for the lights making practical sense. But nice to see that others have experienced the "X-mas tree Phenomena”.

Hi,

My 2001 with 67K had the same lights come on after I accidentally got some of the engine degreaser I was using on the front Oxygen sensor.  I reset the codes a few times by pulling the fuse for the ECU's memory.  After several drives the heat cleaned up the contaminated Oxygen sensor and I have had no problems or warning lights since.  I doubt this is your situation, but at least you know all three lights can result from just one problem.  Good luck.

Russ

Thanks for the suggustions. I used cheap gas a few days ago, spur of the moment thing...gotta love that. I plan to check over everything again this weekend. As much that we pay for these cars you would think it would come with its own laptop to tell us what the damn codes mean. Oh well can't have it all. Thanks again!

Have you recently purchased gasoline from a station that you don't usually visit?

Once you've ruled out the above possibilities, your trouble codes are probably going to point to a failing sensor.  Many of us have dealt with mass air flow sensors, air/fuel ratio sensors, the various oxygen sensors, etc., so we're familiar with quite a few of the codes.  Get them read, post them here, and several folks will have some suggestions for you to try before you decide to spend big bucks that you may not need to.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that mine LS traction sometimes doesn't work properly and indication Traction Off comes together with check engine icon in dashboard. When traction works again all the indication goes off. The more attention should be adressed to traction control/speed sensors rather than engine, battery cables, or what radio station you listened while having a problem.

• 7 months later...

Once you've ruled out the above possibilities, your trouble codes are probably going to point to a failing sensor.  Many of us have dealt with mass air flow sensors, air/fuel ratio sensors, the various oxygen sensors, etc., so we're familiar with quite a few of the codes.  Get them read, post them here, and several folks will have some suggestions for you to try before you decide to spend big bucks that you may not need to.

i have the same problem...you never mentioned what to do if you HAVE done any of the above...i used gas from a station i dont usually gas at...AND i was just about at empty....if it is simply for that reason..what should i do? will the lights go off automatically?

First check for the 2 most common causes: Loose gas cap or black vacuum hose behind air filter box comes off the metal tube below it after someone checks the air filter. Then pull the EFI fuse to reset the lights. If it comes back after that you will need to get code read.