How Much To Replace Belts And Is 240k High Miles?

Gumart1

3 Questions...

First, I know the subject or higher mileage LS400's has been addressed here, but should I be weary of an LS400 (1990) with 240,000 miles as long as it has been cared for? The one I am looking at has been converted to Mobil 1 synthetic at about 140k, and I don't see any major oil leaks at this point. The engine sounds smooth (no ticking) and strong. I do know that it is due for a timing belt change soon. With these miles, will it last "forever"?

Second, is it fairly easy for a do-it-yourselfer with little experience change the serpentine belt and hoses, and are there any other drive belts besides the timing belt that need periodic changing?

Finally, should I avoid this car at all costs just because it has the "air suspension" option? Right now the suspension works fine with no problems. Or can I just convert the suspension if I do have problems. Thanks!

My 1990 LS400 had 235K when I sold it a few months ago- the engine and transmission were still in perfect working order, so 240K may not really mean the car is worn out. Blakes 95 LS400 has around 240K now if I am correct. I have not been around much lately- he may be well past that now. Blake?

The timing belts can and have been changed by some owners here in the past, but it is something I think I would not be able to do. I do not recall who- perhaps Blake again? changed his own timing belt.

The air suspension can be very costly as you know- around $1000K per strut. :blink: and yes, I think it can be changed to standard suspension. Some here have done that also.

Good luck

My 1990 LS400 had 235K when I sold it a few months ago- the engine and transmission were still in perfect working order, so 240K may not really mean the car is worn out.  Blakes 95 LS400 has around 240K now if I am correct.  I have not been around much lately- he may be well past that now.  Blake? 

The timing belts can and have been changed by some owners here in the past, but it is something I think I would not be able to do.  I do not recall who- perhaps Blake again?  changed his own timing belt.

The air suspension can be very costly as you know- around $1000K per strut.   :blink: and yes, I think it can be changed to standard suspension.  Some here have done that also. 

Good luck

if its highway miles i wouldnt worry too much about anything wearing except maybe the suspension.

and blakes car had 247,000 miles when he came to DFW to have his car fixed a couple of weeks ago, i sat in it, i drove it, and i LOVED it. even with 245K its an EXCELLENT choice IMO.

Hey '90, I was at 240k in November! hehe I'm knocking at 250k's door! :lol: I'm at 247.6k miles as of tonight. B)

Josh (ArmyOfOne) is right! Even with miles, the LS is still an excellent choice. My car is rattle free about 97% of the time, and on a bad day, I get 20mpg(due in part to slow acceleration). I averaged 27.5 going to JPI and Josh's home in DFW last week. :)

Q1: If the car drives and inspects well, which it sounds like it does, then, the sky is the limit on LS mileage! Truely! My car has almost 250k miles, but it still performs, drives, and looks like a car with 50k miles. I've said this time and time again...a long, comprehensive test drive is much more indicative of the car's condition than dealer service stamps. My car has 250k miles, and it's still a first rate car, but it hasn't a one to its name!!

Q2: I dunno about the 90-94, but the 95 has an automatic tensoioner, so it's easy to change the drive belt. My father and I changed the timing belt on my LS when the belt had about 125k miles on it(I think it was 235k). The belt still looked new even with that mileae. After doing this belt change once, I never want to do it again--why a real PITA. ::cough, cough:: JPI @ 350,000 miles:: lol

Q3: I wouldn't avoid the car just because it has air ride. If the car sits level(no corner(s) sags/leans) at 240k, chances are they were already changed somewhere in the 120k-150k mileage range. When they do expire, look to part with about $3k for OEM parts. You can convert the struts if you desire when the air ride starts to die out.

Best of luck and keep us posted

:cheers:

i agree mostly with everyone else, besides i WOULD avoid a car with air suspension, its just a pain in the !Removed! to fix and probably more expensive to fix then the car is worth, and to be honest its a miracle it still works with that mileage.....

the serp belt is very easy to change out, even for a novice, the belt diagram is on the top of the under hood, all you need to do is loosen the tensioner take off, put on and tighten it back up, its about a 15 minute job.

timing belt is a serious job to do, even for pro it takes a long time to do, i personally wouldn't try DIY, although many have, with success, i think VMF did it, and we have a tutorial i beleive, if you want try it.

if you are looking for a cheap high mileage luxury car, that is dependable, fast, and comfy, the LS IMO is the absolutely the best car to choose with those credentials.

again, if properly maintaned that engine will go 400K no prob. i see it time and time again.

Wow... you are really racking up the miles. You are 10K ahead of what I had calculated! LOL. :lol: Great to hear it is still doing fine.

I think it is a shame that myold LS400 did not get a chance to see how many miles it could go before the engine conked out- it met its fate in a terrible crash. :( I have no doubts that engine & transmission in that car would not go 300K or more miles without problems.

GUMART: Like Blake said- if it does not have any suspension problems with these miles, chances are, they have already been addressed.

Hey '90, I was at 240k in November! hehe I'm knocking at 250k's door! :lol:  I'm at 247.6k miles as of tonight. B)

Last week when I was in Minnesota, I met a travelling salesman with a '92 LS400 with over 450,000 miles on the original engine and transmission. He purchased it used with about 70K on the clock.

He claimed that he had no major repairs other than oil/filters and routine scheduled maintenance.

Interesting that there are many posts regarding suspension wear on these Gen I vehicles with significantly lower mileage than this unit. It looked in great condition.

3 Questions...

First, I know the subject or higher mileage LS400's has been addressed here, but should I be weary of an LS400 (1990) with 240,000 miles as long as it has been cared for? The one I am looking at has been converted to Mobil 1 synthetic at about 140k, and I don't see any major oil leaks at this point. The engine sounds smooth (no ticking) and strong. I do know that it is due for a timing belt change soon. With these miles, will it last "forever"?

Second, is it fairly easy for a do-it-yourselfer with little experience change the serpentine belt and hoses, and are there any other drive belts besides the timing belt that need periodic changing?

Finally, should I avoid this car at all costs just because it has the "air suspension" option? Right now the suspension works fine with no problems. Or can I just convert the suspension if I do have problems. Thanks!

My '90 LS has 268,000 miles now. Just changed the timing belt, tensioner rollers, water pump, and distributors/rotors. Took me about twelve hours, but I'm slow and careful. 92lex has a good tutorial on the timing belt change, with very few omissions. Thanks, 92lex! Ebay dealers supplied all parts at a total cost of $200.00.

While I was torn down that far, I checked compression, and still have 160-180 psi, and iridium plugs were clean.

My next job is upper control arm bushings. Check and see if this car has had the suspension fixed lately. Mine is really loose.

John