Cel And Trac Off

Big Mike

On 99 ES300 I recently acquired, CEL showed misfire on 1 and 5, I have 77,000K and possibly never had a tune up. Could it be just Spark Plugs and wires or something more serious. If that's all that came up on the reader and not a Sensor than that should fix it right? CEL would still have to be reset though? Also Trac Off Light came on, I disconnected the battery and light has not came back on. Did that reset Trac or I still have no TRAC and the light is off. I don't know, please help . i just hope a tune up and a reset will solve my problems. I just got the car a week ago. It was a hot deal though. :wacko:

On 99 ES300 I recently acquired, CEL showed misfire on 1 and 5, I have 77,000K and possibly never had a tune up. Could it be just Spark Plugs and wires or something more serious. If that's all that came up on the reader and not a Sensor than that should fix it right? CEL would still have to be reset though? Also Trac Off Light came on, I disconnected the battery and light has not came back on. Did that reset Trac or I still have no TRAC and the light is off. I don't know, please help . i just hope a tune up and a reset will solve my problems.  I just got the car a week ago. It was a hot deal though.:wacko:

possibly a bad coil pack. well the trac is automatically kicked off, when a ce light pops. maybe it is just a plug or two.

It could be bad plugs, however if this is vvt-i they aren't recconmended until 90k. It could be a coil pack these go bad on occasion. Also you might want to check the service history, misfires are a sign of oil sludge. You could pull your front vavle cover and check for oil sludge, if it is sludged your dealer will fix it under warranty.

Thanks for everybodys input. I took the car to the local Tire Kingdom (Jax, FL) and all plugs were replaced and one of the pieces of the coil pack were melted. (I'm not a mechanic so work with me). He said that the diagnostics showed that spark plugs were only sparking 70% and fuel was only burning 70% as well.

New plugs and replacing one part of the coil pack, Fuel injection service and Fuel Filter, A new Gasket for when he had to take off the manifold to get to the back plugs?, All Lexus parts and Labor........................$490.89.

The car runs like a champ. However the light did come back on momentarily within 24 hours and stayed on for 3 warm up cycles and went off. During this time the car did Idle rough and it went away. Possible could be remaining Garbage in the fuel injection from the cleaning service???

GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Problems again. Since the repairs the CEL and TRAC OFF have returned twice. It seems to come on for the 3 warm up cycles and go off for a few days and then return. CEL does not blink as before when misfire was happening. I will be going to have codes read again. :angry::censored:

I am assuming it is only coming on when there is a problem and then goes out after warm cycles and problem is not detected. I know the car will not fix its self. Is it possible that sensors or another piece of the coil pack are only working half the time and triggering the CEL? Does CEL only blink for Misfire? steadly remaining on mean sensors?

PLease Help