Anyone Ever Use "lexol" On The Instrument Panel?

90LS400Lexus

Some of you may remember my constant complaining of dash "pops" shortly after I bought my 90 LS400.

I never thought of it before, but the other day I was thinking about the "Lexol" I bought to put on the leather seats which I did. I realized it was shortly after I used the "Lexol" on the dash, that the dash pad hardened and started making these annoying noises. I may be wrong, but I think that the Lexol caused this, because why else would it suddenly harden shortly after use?

Has anyone else used Lexol on the dash board and experienced this? Has anyone else it without any problems?

My car is sold and now wrecked, so it does not matter, but thought I would post this, just incase it does cause damage, so no one else will have to endure this very annoying problem.

lovlex- Leather seats are supposed to be dull, they're not supposed to shine. Trust me, in no way does it dry leather out, just the opposite. Some say it puts so much moisture into the leather that is wears away at the seams. Look at the leather on brand new cars, its never shiny.

90- Its possible, but not likely. The Lexol would just sit on top of the dash material and not be absorbed.

+1 - I use Lexol on my leather surfaces often and haven't noticed any hardening or other problems, I really like the product (cleaner and conditioner).

Is it possible that the application of the Lexol ended up shifting the dash which would then cause the popping? It's a reach, I know, but rubbing the Lexol on might cause some aggravation to pre-existing problems. But you'd have to be rubbing decently hard.

you have to remember its a cleaner and conditioner not a rejuvenator (sp)

anyway, they have 2 products for leather, the "shiny" look you are getting is from the cleaner, you need to follow that up with a liberal amount of conditioner applied in numerious applications to really get the full effect of the product.

it really works great from my experiences with it, i use it all the time

and it won't leave the leather hard or shiny at all........soft and supple is what i get

I've put Lexol on my dash, and the dash loved it. I was stunned at how fast it drank it up!!....probably just because it was sooo hot. I nearly scolded my hands doing it though-120 deg dashes are very, very hot. lol I think it has softened up my dash a little since I've put it on. I noticed it was looking a little dry, so I put a little Lexol on there, and it seems to be better.

I think Lexol is great. The matte finish it gives is one of its best qualities, and I like the smell too. I find shiny seats(or any interior piece for that matter) look kind of cheesey. I've found many great tips on LOC on how to better apply it-massage just a tiny bit in at a time with your hands, and the results have been great.

:cheers:

Thanks for the replies.

It may have not even been the Lexol that caused this, but I just found it odd that it seemed to have started to begin shortly after the application of "Lexol" on the dash board. Perhaps I had some "defective" Lexol"? :lol:

At any rate- the new never complained and still loves it (despite the crash - read other topic), so I guess it was just an annoyance for me. <_<

• 1 month later...

Lexol makes a PLASTIC/RUBBER protectant, basically their version of armor all.

It comes in the same shaped lexol bottles BUT it a bright turquiose color.

It works great because it doesn't leave a shiny finish. Has more of a dull clean look than the armor all's shine <no offense to people that like armor all>.

I don't think it makes sense to use the leather lexol cleaners/conditioners on anything plastic. I mean, I don't know what it would do or if it would be good or bad. I just know it's made for leather.

I can see how you could use the lexol leather conditioners for the dash vinyl maybe but otherwise use their plastic cleaner.

Detailing notes:

1) You usually don't want the surface you're detailing to be hot. I guess because the liquid applied evaporates and doesn't saturate.

2) You should always clean the surface before conditioning. I usually use a mild soap (dawn detergent) with water on my plastics and then use the lexol.

Use a leather cleaner on the leather before you condition it.

It's pretty simple. Think about it this way: if you were dirty would you put lotion all over your body? Most people shower before they do.