Replacing Factory Amp

tg8tor

• 3 weeks later...
For a 92' sc400. Has anyone upgraded their factory amp? If so what wattage and type of amp did you get? 2 or 4 channel? I'm thinking of getting something with a little more juice.

:cheers:

hi! Im Sergio and im 20 years old and i own my own car stereo install shop. Im a expert on the lexus audio systems. OK lets get to it.

When u want to switch an amp out to sumthin bigger u need to ask urself the following, what sound am i looking for, how much louder u want it, and do u use ur fade control.

From my 13 years experience i reccomend a small 200-350 watt amp. I would use a two channel if it was mine. The reason for the question on the fade is if u get a two channel amp you wont be able to use your fade option. However, a two channel will always give u a better more accurate sound. If u use ur fade , then a four channel amp is recommened. if your keeping your factory radio, this wont be too bad. the first thing u need to do is find your factory amp. in that car it should be in the trunk under the stock changer if u have one. in those plugs u will find all speakers, your signal inputs, and power. the speaker wires that are ran to the interior spkrs. will be twisted togther i think. not all models are wired in this fashion. find the wire that u think is the speaker and cut them. using a 9 volt battery, touch each wire to one side of the battery. if u have the rite ones u will hear a small pop from it.

now the wires that will give the amp its sound will be in thick gray tubing, comming out u should c 3-4 wires in each. only use two if your running a two channel amp. you will need to cut those wires and add a pair of rca ends on these lines. get a pair of rcas from radioshack and cut then in half. very carefully strip the black plastic outside off. u will see [if done rite] a wire in the middle that will be red or white depending on the rcas. the middle line will connect to the wire on the factory amp that gives it its sound. do the same wit the other side.

now on that lexus the signal wires will be on the outside of that grey tubing that will hook up to this wire inside your rcas. the wire left in the middle of this grey tube will go to the wire on the rca that surrounds the wire in the rcas. uh, after that get a test light and with the key off[ some models have to be on] find the wire that lights up the test light. that is 12volt constant this will go to batt or pos or +etc on the new amp. next find the wire that will light the test light up when u only turn the radio on, if u cant get this u can run a wire from ur fusebox to the fuse that says radio it will be red. this will turn the amp on and off with the key . the last wire is the ground, to find this take the wire from the test light and hook it up to your 12volt postive wire[ the onewire that has power with the key on or off] and the wire that lights this light will be your ground. thats all if u still have questions u can call me @ 216-376-4515 good luck -surge-

Wow...thanks for the detailed info. Have you ever installed an ipod bypassing the cd changer. I'd like to do this comming from the back of the stereo....splice the ipod to the wires going to the cd changer so when i press the cd button it plays the ipod instead.

:cheers:

You've been doing car audio since you were 7 years old sergioon20?

sounds like it...

Hate to hijack, BUT,

Surge, how can I test if my stock 95 sc400 amp is blown? Have it out of the car, just waiting for diagnosis.