Fuel Door Wont 'pop' Open But Will Release

Hi,

I just acquired a 2000 ES 300 and when I use the button to open the fuel door, I can hear the click noise but it doesn't pop open. I have to open the trunk and pull the emergency release. That way I am close enough to the fuel door to reach it and pull it open. I've read something about a 'flat piece of metal' as opposed to a spring that is supposed to be there. Can anyone help me figure out if that is what is missing? Here's a photo of my open fuel door so you can see the hinge and maybe tell what needs to go there. Thanks for your help, this is a great car so far!fuel_door.jpg

hey,

looks like no one is helping you out on this one. but yes, there is a small piece of flat metal that looks like a flat strip that is bent into an L shape that fits on your fuel door. it is about the size of a quarter. i dont' know exactly where you can get this, but i'm sure if you just go to your lexus dealer and ask, they can give you one. probably doesn't cost much either. good luck!

did the 2000 ES have any body work done before you got it?, bodywork in the area of the fill door?

I ask cause this happened to me.

My ES had some body work due to a stupid idiot that tried to fit between me and an island last Jan. The bodyshop had to paint that area of the panel. Paint and or clear coat dried in the hinge and would not allow the door to open (stiff hinge). The mechanism popped but the door wouldn't flinch. With the help of a friend and a Q-tip, I was able to open the fill door and weaken the dried clear coat spray. A few shots of WD40 and the doors pops like it is supposed to.

just a thought.

steviej