Roof Rack Rail Allen Wrench Size

tetsuma

Want to mount a Thule roof rack on my RX300 factory rails and crossbars, and therefore need to move the cross bars forward a bit to provide clearance for the rear hatch when opened.

When I remove the big plastic "wing" nuts, under the cross bars, and remove the bars, the mounting trucks, which are what sit between the bars and the actual rail, have two bolts with star shaped allen wrench holes. I need to loosen these to actually move the mounting trucks.

Does anyone know what type / size of the wrench I need for this?

thanks,

David

Want to mount a Thule roof rack on my RX300 factory rails and crossbars, and therefore need to move the cross bars forward a bit to provide clearance for the rear hatch when opened.

When I remove the big plastic "wing" nuts, under the cross bars, and remove the bars, the mounting trucks, which are what sit between the bars and the actual rail, have two bolts with star shaped allen wrench holes.  I need to loosen these to actually move the mounting trucks. 

Does anyone know what type / size of the wrench I need for this?

thanks,

David

On the 05 RX, on the cross bar near the rail, you just pull "up" on a small lever on either side that releases the cross bar for movement. I'm guessing that the older models do not work the same ?

:unsure:

David,

I took a look on my 2001. When the plastic hand nut is removed, the cross bar is released from the slider in the track. The slider is free to move anywhere you want in the track. I could not find any star shaped allen head bolts. I have noticed Lexus is fond of using torq fasteners so you might try sketching the bolt head and visiting Sears for tools. Sorry I could not be more help,

Russ