Sport Cross Winter Tires

Help!! This summer I purchased a used 2002 Sport Cross. I'm not a car enthusiast. I just wanted a hatchback and the Sport Cross fit the bill: Lexus looks, fold down seats and fun to drive. I'm a single mom and this is my only car.

I had a rude awakening this week. It snowed!! The Sport Cross was downright dangerous to drive. The car is now parked in my mother's garage and I'm driving a Corolla which gets around great.

My question: I guess I need winter tires but here in Kentucky it only snows a couple of times in the winter.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

A couple of questions need be asked before suggestions can be made.

Will you be changing out your tires for dedicated snow tires on the stock rims or are you looking for a complete replacement set of snow tires with rims? (much easier to swap back to your three season tires)

If you get a complete second set, which most people do, then you will need a place to store the winter set when not on the car.

Also what is the total expected snow fall for your area and what do you get historically?

If you don't get much, present bashing excluded, then look into an aggressive all season radial.

Toyo Proxes TPT or Continental ContiXtreme Contacts

If you are looking into a complete set of replacement dedicated snow tires then look into the Bridgeston Blizzaks WS50s. You can even get a complete set balanced on steel rims delivered to your door from www.tirerack.com. Price is not that bad. Keep in mind you will have to mount them on the car. However, tirerack can direct you to a partnered service center in your area.

Whatever you decide, make sure you outfit the car with 4 of the same tires, not just the two drive wheels.

good luck and always give yourself a little extra room in the snow. Never trust the other guy.

steviej

A couple of questions need be asked before suggestions can be made.

Will you be changing out your tires for dedicated snow tires on the stock rims or are you looking for a complete replacement set of snow tires with rims?  (much easier to swap back to your three season tires)

If you get a complete second set, which most people do, then you will need a place to store the winter set when not on the car.

Also what is the total expected snow fall for your area and what do you get historically?

If you don't get much, present bashing excluded, then look into an aggressive all season radial.

Toyo Proxes TPT or Continental ContiXtreme Contacts

If you are looking into a complete set of replacement dedicated snow tires then look into the Bridgeston Blizzaks WS50s.  You can even get a complete set balanced on steel rims delivered to your door from www.tirerack.com.  Price is not that bad.  Keep in mind you will have to mount them on the car.  However, tirerack can direct you to a partnered service center in your area.

Whatever you decide, make sure you outfit the car with 4 of the same tires, not just the two drive wheels.

good luck and always give yourself a little extra room in the snow.  Never trust the other guy.

steviej

Help!!  This summer I purchased a used 2002 Sport Cross.  I'm not a car enthusiast.  I just wanted a hatchback and the Sport Cross fit the bill:  Lexus looks, fold down seats  and fun to drive.  I'm a single mom and this is my only car.

I had a rude awakening this week.  It snowed!!  The Sport Cross was downright dangerous to drive.  The car is now parked in my mother's garage and I'm driving a Corolla which gets around great.

My question:  I guess I need winter tires but here in Kentucky it only snows a couple of times in the winter. 

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Sport Cross, what is the exact size tire you need? & are you just intrested only in a winter tire or an EXCELLENT high performance all season that will hold up very well (driven with common sense of course) in the winter weather? B)

:cheers:

• 4 weeks later...
Sport Cross, what is the exact size tire you need?  & are you just intrested only in a winter tire or an EXCELLENT high performance all season that will hold up very well (driven with common sense of course) in the winter weather?  B)

What exactly do you mean by 'excellent high performance'? By definition there really is no 'high performance' all season tire. All season tires are not high performance in any category, no matter what the companies tell you. Summer tires will always perform better in the dry (a halfway decent street set will perform better in the wet too) and winter tires will always perform better in the snow/ice/freezing temperatures. All-season tires are never 'high performance' in anything, but rather a somewhat mediocre compromise in everything. They will never be able to offer the performance that season specialized tires will.

As established already, I am the resident BMW auto-crosser :P

Sport Cross, what is the exact size tire you need?  & are you just intrested only in a winter tire or an EXCELLENT high performance all season that will hold up very well (driven with common sense of course) in the winter weather?   B)

What exactly do you mean by 'excellent high performance'? By definition there really is no 'high performance' all season tire. All season tires are not high performance in any category, no matter what the companies tell you. Summer tires will always perform better in the dry (a halfway decent street set will perform better in the wet too) and winter tires will always perform better in the snow/ice/freezing temperatures. All-season tires are never 'high performance' in anything, but rather a somewhat mediocre compromise in everything. They will never be able to offer the performance that season specialized tires will.

Well as stated by Sport Cross earlier in his thread, he was having trouble with his car because of the snow & because it does not snow much where he is was wondering if it was necessary at all to put specific winter rubber on the car. I suggested a 'top shelf' high performance all season that should do the job. :rolleyes: You haven't told us anything we did not know already with regards to actualy summer tires & winter tires & their specific functions.......some don't need 2 or more sets of wheels & tires, nor do they want them because of various reasons. Sport Cross did not mention anything about 'auto-crossing' either :rolleyes: so I don't know exactly what point you were trying to make with that comment as it had nothing to do with the subject at hand. :lol:

Also established already, I am one of the tire 'advisors' for both LOC & CL :whistles: :P There are many 'all season' tires in whatever category you want them to be classified as that will perform a more than admirable job to get one through winter driving conditions without much fuss. If the weather is that horrendous out....even with winter rubber & it's not an 'emergency', then why go out at all? :blink: :whistles: :lol: Exercising good common sense sometimes is better than any tire ever made no matter how good the traction is. :rolleyes: :whistles: ;)

Sport Cross, what is the exact size tire you need?  & are you just intrested only in a winter tire or an EXCELLENT high performance all season that will hold up very well (driven with common sense of course) in the winter weather?   B)

Well as stated by Sport Cross earlier in his thread, he was having trouble with his car because of the snow & because it does not snow much where he is was wondering if it was necessary at all to put specific winter rubber on the car. I suggested a 'top shelf' high performance all season that should do the job. :rolleyes: You haven't told us anything we did not know already with regards to actualy summer tires & winter tires & their specific functions.......some don't need 2 or more sets of wheels & tires, nor do they want them because of various reasons. Sport Cross did not mention anything about 'auto-crossing' either :rolleyes: so I don't know exactly what point you were trying to make with that comment as it had nothing to do with the subject at hand. :lol:

Also established already, I am one of the tire 'advisors' for both LOC & CL :whistles: :P There are many 'all season' tires in whatever category you want them to be classified as that will perform a more than admirable job to get one through winter driving conditions without much fuss. If the weather is that horrendous out....even with winter rubber & it's not an 'emergency', then why go out at all? :blink: :whistles: :lol: Exercising good common sense sometimes is better than any tire ever made no matter how good the traction is. :rolleyes: :whistles: ;)

:lol:

I made the post 'cause one of my pet peeves is when people call all-seasons "high performance" ;)

Also established already, I am one of the tire 'advisors' for both LOC & CL:whistles: :P There are many 'all season' tires in whatever category you want them to be classified as that will perform a more than admirable job to get one through winter driving conditions without much fuss. If the weather is that horrendous out....even with winter rubber & it's not an 'emergency', then why go out at all? :blink: :whistles: :lol: Exercising good common sense sometimes is better than any tire ever made no matter how good the traction is. :rolleyes: :whistles: ;)

:lol:

I made the post 'cause one of my pet peeves is when people call all-seasons "high performance" ;)

I use to own a 2001 Nissan Maxima SE 20th A.E. & I put Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires on it.......they were in fact "high performance" (at $300+ Canadian...they had better be & they were). The tests done on tirerack support that as well. :lol: ;)