Help - Strange Behaviour From My 93 Ls.

Bison

I was on the freeway on the way home from work and I was doing about 70mph, A car wizzed passed me and I thought bugger it and put me foot down. (It's an Auto LS400 by the way)

Instead of changing down a gear my car felt like it went into neutral and just revved out! ****ting my self I took my foot of the Gas, and it went back into gear no probs, put my foot down again, same thing happened?

Me starting to get worried I slowed down, but I needed to do it once more. This time it did change down but when it went back into the higher gear it really jerked in.

Been fine since that though, doesn't feel like it is a gearbox problem, feels more like electrical, something telling it not to change? I also get a hesitation when pulling away from traffic lights etc, i touch the gas and car starts to move for a millisecond, then hesitates then goes as normal again. I wathced the revs as this happened and they stay perfectly smooth, it does not seem to be an engine problem.

I find this happens when the car is at normal running temp, it's fine early morning before warming up, the car has done 120000 miles and seems to have been well looked after.

Any Ideas?

Bison

That is really strange. It almost sounds like the transmission wasn't engaging or something, but I think you may be right about the electrical part. You sure that you didn't break the back tires loose? I have had that happen in the rain.

That is really strange. It almost sounds like the transmission wasn't engaging or something, but I think you may be right about the electrical part. You sure that you didn't break the back tires loose? I have had that happen in the rain.

No the tyres 100% did NOT lose any grip at all. It is something to do with the other problem of the hesitation I just know they are connected. Just want to know whats causing it!

Bison

No the tyres 100% did NOT lose any grip at all. It is something to do with the other problem of the hesitation I just know they are connected. Just want to know whats causing it!

Bison

it soubds like Torque converter slip to me. you push your foot down and nothing. it just revs. try a slow application of pressure. every once in a while my 90 ES250 will give me a bit of TQ Conv slip. usually only if its really cold and i drive like a nut (i never do them both at the same time). but it will only do it if i slam the gas down unexpectedly. i think it has more to do with the ECM telling the tranny what to do that the tranny itself though. LS400 doesnt have a hesitation issue that i know of, but i could be wrong on that.

• 1 month later...