99 Es300 Jumps From P To D In Cold Start

ganpan

Hello

I have a 1999 lexus ES300 with 77,000 miles on it. Recently when I start the vehicle for the first time in the morning (cold start, dosen't matter winter or summer) and put the vehicle from park to drive, it jumps/jerks and starts to run smoothly. It happens only on the very first time I start the vehicle. It jumps less in summer and more in winter. It happens only for the first transmission change. Immediatly after that if I change back to P and then to D again, it doesn't jump/jerk. Have any of you encountered this problem? I appreciate any help on this. Is it safe to live with or should I go to a dealer to check it out? My local Lexus dealer is very expensive..

it may be all in how you park your car.

It the car on any kind of incline with you park it?

Do you set the parking brake?

And if so, before or after you physically shift into P?

Try this the next time you park overnight.

come to a stop, keep you foot on the brake pedal and the car in D. Set the parking/emergency brake. Now shift to P and exit the vehicle as you would.

The next time you go to start the car and shift to D:

start the car, let it warm up for a minute, step on the brake pedal, shift to D, release the parking/emergency brake, release the brake pedal and step on the gas.

Does it jump/jerk now?

steviej