2000 Es300 Keyless Entry Problem

dpallenman

Hi there. I hope all is well. I am sure this topic has been covered one million times before, but I want to assure you that I have done several searches and nothing has yet worked for me. I just purchased a 2000 ES300 Platinum Edition, and the car came with one master key (complete with the transmitter for locking doors and opening the trunk).

Knowing that having only one master key could be dangerous, I immediately purchased an additional master key off Ebay (brand new, original Lexus with transmitter). This new master key is a dead ringer for my original master key in every respect, including the FCC codes.

I had a local locksmith cut this new master key, and it worked perfectly in the trunk and the doors. I used some programming instructions found on this web site and programmed the engine immobilizer portion of the key. This process worked flawlessly, and the new master key starts the car without fail. So far, so good.

Next, I set out to program the transmitter portion in order that I can remotely lock/unlock the doors and open the trunk. I have tried several different combinations, and nothing works. Originally, I was using the power lock switch to lock/unlock the doors five times, but further reading told me that the driver’s door only is the one to be locked/unlocked. In other words, you must use the MANUAL switch when going through this process.

So, here is my exact procedure, and it has failed to work time and time again:

1. Sit in the 2000 ES300, close all doors, lock all doors.

2. MANUALLY unlock driver’s door only, and open driver’s door.

3. Insert ORIGINAL Master Key (not the new Master Key) into the ignition, and then remove.

4. MANUALLY lock/unlock the driver’s door five times (in other words, lock/unlock…lock/unlock…lock/unlock…lock/unlock…lock/unlock.

5. Close driver’s door.

6. Open driver’s door.

7. MANUALLY lock/unlock the driver’s door five times (in other words, lock/unlock…lock/unlock…lock/unlock…lock/unlock…lock/unlock.

8. Insert NEW Master Key into the ignition, turn to “On” once, turn to “Off”, then remove the key from the ignition.

PLEASE NOTE AFTER STEP 8, THE LOCKS CYCLED ONCE, WHICH IS APPARENTLY WHAT THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO DO!

9. On the NEW Master Key, press the Lock/Panic (this is a combination button; one and the same) for one second.

PLEASE NOTE AFTER STEP 9, THE LOCKS ARE SUPPOSED TO CYCLE AGAIN. THEY DID NOT!

10. Close driver’s door.

11. Open driver’s door.

12. On the NEW Master Key, press Lock for one second.

PLEASE NOTE AFTER STEP 12, THE LOCKS ARE SUPPOSED TO CYCLE AGAIN. THEY DID NOT!

13. Close driver’s door.

Where am I going wrong here? As you can see, everything seems to go well until Step 9, where the locks failed to cycle.

Perhaps I have the wrong instructions?

Please help!

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Darren

Have you tried asking the dealer for help on this or having them program it for you? I may be wrong on this, someone please correct me if I am, but I read that the ES is only programmed for two masters keys and if you try to add another one, it will fail. I know that you only have one master key, but the alarm doesn't know that. It (the alarm) still thinks there are two masters key already and it thinks you are trying to program a third one. The alarm remotes on the '99 Camry are like that (the difference is that you can have a maximum of 4 remotes). At any rate, if what I said is true, then you may have to go to the dealer to have that new key you have programmed, so the alarm accepts it. Hope you get that sorted out soon.

Have you tried asking the dealer for help on this or having them program it for you?  I may be wrong on this, someone please correct me if I am, but I read that the ES is only programmed for two masters keys and if you try to add another one, it will fail.  I know that you only have one master key, but the alarm doesn't know that.  It (the alarm) still thinks there are two masters key already and it thinks you are trying to program a third one.  The alarm remotes on the '99 Camry are like that (the difference is that you can have a maximum of 4 remotes).  At any rate, if what I said is true, then you may have to go to the dealer to have that new key you have programmed, so the alarm accepts it.  Hope you get that sorted out soon.

Hi there. I have not yet consulted the dealer, as the idea was to try to save a few dollars in this project (and learn something). As for the ES only accepting two master keys, perhaps this is the problem. However, if this is the case I cannot understand why the immobilizer portion of the key programmed successfully on my first try. You'd think that if the car would only be capable of registering two master keys, then it would reject ALL programming, period.

This isn't a huge deal, because as it stands I can stick the new master key in the door, unlock the door, jump in, start the car and drive off. It just bugs me that the keyless entry won't program successfully. I tried again today several times, but no luck.

Does anyone have an actual 2000 service manual scan of this procedure?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Darren

Here's a longshot.

Do you know for a fact that the battery is good??  Does the LED light up on the remote when you press the buttons.

Like I said it's a longshot, but it's worth checking.

Tom

Hi Tom. Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I have checked the battery. First, using the LED light as you mention above. It lights up just fine. Not satisfied, however, I took the battery out and tested it with a multimeter. Reading was 3.04 volts, which is just where it should be.

Darren

Hi there.  I have not yet consulted the dealer, as the idea was to try to save a few dollars in this project (and learn something).  As for the ES only accepting two master keys, perhaps this is the problem.  However, if this is the case I cannot understand why the immobilizer portion of the key programmed successfully on my first try.  You'd think that if the car would only be capable of registering two master keys, then it would reject ALL programming, period.

This isn't a huge deal, because as it stands I can stick the new master key in the door, unlock the door, jump in, start the car and drive off.  It just bugs me that the keyless entry won't program successfully.  I tried again today several times, but no luck.

Does anyone have an actual 2000 service manual scan of this procedure?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Darren

Ya I know what you mean about it either going all the way through or rejecting it, my guess is that it's not accepting more than 2 frequencies for the keyless entry. I understand you trying to save a few bucks, heck I would try to do this on my own too. I would just ask your local dealer and find out how much it would cost for programming. If anything though at least your key is not completely useless, it's able perform half of its job. I can see how annoying it can be though not having that feature.

• 5 months later...

I just wanted to add that these instructions worked nicely for me as well. I could cycle the locks either manually or with the power switches.

The glitch I, personally, ran into was that the 2000 can only have 2 keys programmed right? So the first time I ran through the sequence successfully, it cycled through the lock cycle twice indictating that my memory was full already with 2 keys.

I read off the 1998 technical service bulletin and applied how to clear the memory and add another new key. Worked great!

My local dealership wanted about $260 for a new key w/a transponder and to program it. I bought my key off eBay, had it cut locally, and programmed it all myself for $70. I consider myself a happy woman today! :D