Michelin Hydroedge

lovlex

I'm assuming that since this is in the SC forum its for that car.

The HydroEdge on your car is a big NO-NO. The SC requires V or above speed rated tires (149mph). The HydroEdge is S rated (112mph). The argument that I hear every day (I work for NTB) is "But I'm not going to drive 100+ mph...".

That acctually makes no difference. The tires are the only part of the vehicle that touch the ground. When toyota engineers designed the car all the components are desighned to work together. In this case the suspention and braking were designed with the grip levels that a V rated tires provide.

If you were to use the HydroEdges not only would you compromise your handling but more importantly the vehicle stability in emergency avoidance manuvers. An example is a 60mph panic stop because of the higher temp. tolerance and renforced shoulders of a V tire your stop distance could be anywhere from 5 - 20 feet shorter, versus a S rated tire.

As for the falkens, they are a very good tire. Probibly a little stiff for the SC luxury ride. Some other good choices are Michellen MXV4+ (V rated) and the Yokohama AVS Db2 (V).

Hope this helps...

I put Goodyear F1 GS D3 ties on my SC400 (OEM size). They are the best tires I have owned and I have owned a lot of high performance tires. They stick like glue in the wet and the dry and are very quiet. They are also inexpensive with the goodyear rebate and were on sale at tirerack. I suggest trying tirerack.com and going through their decision guide.

I've been running a set of MXV4's on my SC400 since August. While I love the way they feel and handle, they don't look nearly as good as the Pilot series. When looking at the car from the rear, the MXV4's appear too thin. I liked how the Pilots "squooshed" down and out. Gave a fatter, more high-performance appearance to the car. The Mxv4's do feel great though, very smooth. Smoother than the Pilots, if I remember right.