Stereo Dimentions

Hi, I need to know the speaker dimentions for the Lexus 93 Gs300 sound system. I called the Lexus dealership in Minnesota and they could not even tell me. Basically I need to know what are the sizes for the speakers and the sub in the back window, also what is the biggest size speakers I can go up to without modification, and can I get larger tweeters?

stock front - 4"

stock rear - 5"

If you want a well rounded system with midbass then you should consider stepping up to 6 1/2" components....this will require minor modifications.

For tweeters you can install any size you want...it just depends on where you plan on mounting them.

I'm not sure what size the subwoofer is but I'm guessing 10"...maybe someone else will be able to tell you the exact size....

6 1/2's is a minor modification. You could either use fiberglass which is a little harder to work with, or go the easy way and use plywood to build a new mount for the 6.5's.

Yeah, if you rig it and then have them play through a 4" hole which is sure to block lots of sound and hit the cone. Or maybe you'd rather just have all that sound trapped in the door, I've done it, the right way, it's a major modification! :lol:

It's 4's all the way around and a 10 in the rear. You can do a 12 in the rear , you'll have to drill new monting holes. Installing a 6.5 will require major madification.:whistles:

Thanks, I think I will stick with the 4,s. If I can find any from cruthfield

6 1/2's is a minor modification. You could either use fiberglass which is a little harder to work with, or go the easy way and use plywood to build a new mount for the 6.5's.

Yeah, if you rig it and then have them play through a 4" hole which is sure to block lots of sound and hit the cone. Or maybe you'd rather just have all that sound trapped in the door, I've done it, the right way, it's a major modification! :lol:

92 lex is right... All you need is an mdf mount for 6.5's Look on my site for yourself.... www.sounddomain.com/id/gompka It works fine and yes it can play out of a 4" hole because you don't need a 6.5" hole for all the sound to come out. Yell into a rolled up paper towel tube still just as loud on the other end. I am using very large and long 6.5's and they do not hit anything on either end. Just takes a little bit of creativity and experimenting.

92 lex is right... All you need is an mdf mount for 6.5's Look on my site for yourself.... www.sounddomain.com/id/gompka It works fine and yes it can play out of a 4" hole because you don't need a 6.5" hole for all the sound to come out. Yell into a rolled up paper towel tube still just as loud on the other end. I am using very large and long 6.5's and they do not hit anything on either end. Just takes a little bit of creativity and experimenting.

Take that same rolled up paper towel tube and place it in front of a speaker and see what you hear, then take it away and listen. Don't tell me there's no difference. Do you even know what cancelation is?, probably NOT? You obviously know nothing about audio and accoustics. What WORKS and WHAT'S RIGHT are 2 different things. I've been installing professionally for 15 years. Thats about as rigged as you can get. I wouldn't install a rigged setup in my own vehicle nor anyones else like that, nor would I recomend it.

Haha. Professional installers do it all the time buddy. No knowledge?...are you kidding me? You're the one that's trying to tell everybody that an upgrade to 6.5's is considered a major modification...lmao...people these days...

If you had 4" speakers you would have to set the cross-over frequency to about 250hz. If you had 6.5's you would be able to set it to 100hz. Subwoofers are usually set from 80-100hz...with 4" speakers don't you think there will be dead spots? 100hz and 250hz is going to sound a whole lot different...it doesn't matter if it's a 5" hole versus a 7" hole, it's not that big of a difference...cmon now Mr. Professional.

6.5's would be considered doing it right. If you have 4" speakers why install aftermarket 4" speakers and a sub because 4" speakers simply lack mid bass. The sub is going to cut off at 100hz and the 4" components will pick up at 250hz...doesn't that seem not too smooth. If you're gonna do something do it right? Professional? You're joking around right?

I'm not saying a 6.5 inch speaker ia a WRONG CHOICE SOUNDWISE. I'm saying the way YOU ARE INSTALLING IT IS WRONG! Do you think lexus put a 4 inch grill over a 4 inch speaker for a reason. I think they would have rather made the grill 2 inches smaller if they felt it made no difference in sound quality, since you the EXPERT, THINK IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE. I'm sure every car manufacturer would love to make the speaker grills 2 inches smaller than the speaker. Well, guess what, they don"t. NO PROFESSIONAL INSTALLER WOULD PUT A 6 INCH SPEAKER BEHIND A 4 INCH GRILL, HACK!!! :blink:

Haha..okay...say whatever makes you happy.

Even if you put 6.5's in place of 4" speakers and you allow the 2" of sound cancellation it still would sound better. Speakers able to hit 100hz is going to sound better than speakers able to hit 250hz regardless of the smaller diameter opening on the door panel. So lets say those 6.5's placed behind a 4" grill would cost you 2.5 inches...4 of the 6 1/2 inches is still capable of producing sound right?....so it's not going to be as efficient as having all 6.5 inches exposed but it's still going to hit the 100hz frequency that regular 4" speakers isn't able to...better sound right?

If you don't understand how these frequencies affect a vehicles acoustics then I would suggest you do some research. I give up...believe whatever you want to believe but just don't give people crappy knowledge.

If you don't understand how these frequencies affect a vehicles acoustics then I would suggest you do some research. I give up...believe whatever you want to believe but just don't give people crappy knowledge.

This has been a great debate :P ,ok so moving on. Now, you think the 6.5 would sound better because it can play lower, that is true. However, when you install a speaker free-air the midbass is drastically reduced and if you have a sub, playing 80hz and lower you'll never hear that 100hz midbass anyways. So, a good boston accoustics or MB Quart 2 way 4" speaker in the factory enclosure with the port hole sealed shut would actually give you a boost in the midbass frequencies. It would sound better than the 6.5 speaker for midbass, because you'd actually hear it. So now who's been giving the crappy knowledge.

I had MB Quart 4" PCE's in my 91 LS4...I kept the original enclosure that housed the stock speaker...mounted the MBQ in there and applied sealant to seal up the enclosure. I'll tell ya, I wasn't satisfied with the midbass at all. So I pulled the 4" components out and threw in 6.5" MBQ Q-series components...it sure as hell made my system sound very well rounded. 4" components simply lack midbass regardless of the enclosure.

Yeah, your subwoofer is going to supply most of the bass but only up to 100hz...it would be ideal to have components capable of picking up where the sub left off (100hz) and continue with the higher frequencies. What I'm trying to say is that with 4" speakers once the sub cuts off at 100hz there is going to be a 150hz gap before the coxials will play (250hz)...the transition from frequency to frequency just isn't going to sound as smooth...150hz of "missing" frequencies will affect SQ. So basicly it's going to lack the midbass...you could try to set the crossover for 4" speakers to 100hz but they will most likely bottom out.

But yeah, we had a good run there. We have our differences but it's all good though.