Strange Things

NeiLtYmE

there is a strange sound coming from the exhaust, under and after the engine. I am thinking its the catalytic convertor. This sound as progressed throughout the past couple days getting louder. Its a disgusting exhuast rattle. coupled with this sound there is also some smell comin from around that area, kinda like a faint burn fuel/oil smell.

For those of you with this experience, does it sound like a cat ? Im not quite sure but i hope im not in for a huge cost.

this is kinda odd because i just got my car back from the dealership to fix some seals. I hope they didnt ***k with anything :angry:

- neil

they might have dripped some sealent on the exhaust and it is burning off.

There may be oil also that has dripped and burning off. Watch and see if it goes away. Call the place that did the work and document that you called. Should there be any problem like poor workmanship, you have proof that you alerted them to the presence of the smell.

As for the cat problem. Raise and support the car safely. Rap on the exhaust, cat and heat shields with a large rubber mallet. See if you can't duplicate and pinpoint the sound. If may be just a heat shield that has come loose, hopefully.

Use a rubber mallet as opposed to a hammer or butt end of a large wrench so as to not cause further metallic sounds.

steviej

kinda sucks right now cause i have no way of raising my car and testing as i am at the dorms. Ganna need call them and complain, then go check it somewhere else before i go b*itch at the dealer. If i find out that this happened as a result of thier neglect.

they were supposed to replaced my spring boot as a diagnosis to a sound that was coming from the suspension. i took it there cuase i dont have time right now to work on it my self. they didnt even do that completly... The service guy i know there is a pretty nice guy actually, so hopefully he takes care of my dis-satisfaction on that matter.

• 3 years later...
kinda sucks right now cause i have no way of raising my car and testing as i am at the dorms. Ganna need call them and complain, then go check it somewhere else before i go b*itch at the dealer. If i find out that this happened as a result of thier neglect.

they were supposed to replaced my spring boot as a diagnosis to a sound that was coming from the suspension. i took it there cuase i dont have time right now to work on it my self. they didnt even do that completly... The service guy i know there is a pretty nice guy actually, so hopefully he takes care of my dis-satisfaction on that matter.

Check your cats for a rattling noise and is the car running without power?