Best 1992 Lexus 400sc Exhaust Upgrade?

JIBBBY

HELLO, I OWN A 1992 LEXUS 400SC, 90M, LOOKS AND DRIVES LIKE NEW. LOOKING TO BOOST THE HORSEPOWER, DOES ANY BODY KNOE THE MOST COST EFFECTIVE WAY TO SQUEEZE LET SAY AN ADDITION 50 HORSEPOWER. I HEARD REPLACING THE INTAKE AND EXHAUST MAY ACHIEVE MY GOAL. IF THIS IS TRUE WHAT TYPE TO GET THAT I CAN BOLT ON MYSELF, WHAT TYPE, AND HOW MUCH.... PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP I JUST BARELY LOST A STREET RACE WITH A FORD 5.0 MUSTAND, AND I AM *BLEEP*ED OFF, BECAUSE THE FORD WAS STOCK. NEED MORE POWER SCOTTY! SOMEBODY HELP, GOT ABOUT A $1000 TO SPEND.

what i have done with with my car is got cutouts but if u dont want to go though that trouble just take your exhuast off and have it coming straight out of the headers. next i bought intake which is not that much of a hp boost. then i would if u can find any most likely are going to have to get them custom made are headers. And the biggest boost for the cheapest money well not cheap but a dragon torque converter cost you about 850 dollars. It doesnt give u more hp but it is a converter that replaces your old one on your transmission. it allows your gears to slip more allowing your tires to spin more and so u get a better start. but its your best bet if u run 1/4 mile times it takes a whole second off your time so if u race from a stop and not a roll u will blow them off the line. THE TOQUE CONVERTER WILL NOT DO ANYTHING IF U ARE RACING FROM A ROLL. just to forwarn u.

http://www.tmengineering.net/performance/t...make/lexus.html

http://www.lexuspros.com/cgi-bin/storev2/c...uct=scairintake

first of all, get the lexuspros ECU upgrade, thats a 30hp GAIN right there!! after that, go ahead and get some cheap mufflers and bring it to a muffler shop for some custom piping. Now that you've got the exahust and ecu covered, go for the intake, BFI is the way to go; the link has got to be around here somewhere. You should be expecting 50hp with what I just advised you to do...GOOD LUCK MY FRIEND AND KEEP THOSE MODS COMIN! :cheers:

first of all, get the lexuspros ECU upgrade, thats a 30hp GAIN right there!!  after that, go ahead and get some cheap mufflers and bring it to a muffler shop for some custom piping.  Now that you've got the exahust and ecu covered, go for the intake, BFI is the way to go; the link has got to be around here somewhere.  You should be expecting 50hp with what I just advised you to do...GOOD LUCK MY FRIEND AND KEEP THOSE MODS COMIN!  :cheers:

CAL - thanks for the insite, I've already ordered the intake system, exhaust is next. One question what is and ECU upgrade, and adding all this crap will my smok checks be affected because I live in Cali. Thanks again your the man!

The most you could get out of exhaust and a higher-flow intake is like 15hp. You need to get supercharged!!!!!! But of course that will run ya quite a bit more than 1k.

15 hp that's it, *BLEEP* these cars are already fine tuned I guess. I may supercharge this baby, but will the tranny and driveshaft hold up to the juice? How reliable are these superchargers, do they breakdown and do they affect smog emission, talk to me I need more info on my snale.

There's only one way to get 50 hp for $1000. Nitrous Oxide.

Aaron

NOS you say, that's great and all but it is only juice once in a while I need constant juice, off the juice. Somebody said changing to the LEXUSPROS ECU UPGRADE will give me 30 hp right their, but I may have to supercharge this baby, I wonder how many additional hp the SC400 will take on the stock tranny, and drive train. Any input on that crap?

Wow where'd they find 30 hp??? They must have really bumped the timing up, and leaned out the mixture or something to get a 10+ % HP increase with a chip.

Does anybody have back to back dynos before and after the ECU upgrade I'd like to see HP curves and a/f ratio curves.

Thanks,

Aaron

p.s. For the exhaust, the rear mufflers are fine, they are a straight through design so I wouldn't bother changing them. I'd just get a true dual custom mid pipe made with H or X pipe where the 3rd cat used to be. I'm probably going to keep the stock front cats, and the stock resonators and mufflers, just loose the 3rd Cat and restrictive Y pipe.

DAILY DRIVERS:

I've heard alot of people losing their low end torque (via SOTP dyno) just by adding a higher flowing catback system with their stock engine and were very disappointed.

Just beware that although advertisements claim HP gains, that only occurs during wot. This was an expensive learning experience for me. I've changed the exhaust with new catback systems on 2 of my old cars with stock engines and lost my low end power. I hated it so much I put the stock exhaust set-up back on.

DAILY DRIVERS:

I've heard alot of people losing their low end torque (via SOTP dyno) just by adding a higher flowing catback system with their stock engine and were very disappointed.

Just beware that although advertisements claim HP gains, that only occurs during wot. This was an expensive learning experience for me. I've changed the exhaust with new catback systems on 2 of my old cars with stock engines and lost my low end power. I hated it so much I put the stock exhaust set-up back on.

Is it possible that you had free'er flowing exhaust piping? maybe 3 inch piping? anything over 2.5inches for our 3.0 straight six's would be too big and we WILL lose low end torque. I've known people who went with 2.5inch piping on SC's and love their mod very much. B)