Power Steering Noise

01GTB

Hey everybody. I went out to dinner with my mom yesterday and we took her '95 SC400. Nothing unusual until we were on the way back. I went to make a turn and this terrible groaning sound came out from the Lexus :wacko: My first thought was the pump. There is no fluid leakage that I can see at all. The resevoir is not down any. Just all of a sudden, something went south. I've never seen a pump go like this before, but it clearly has a rough sound coming from the pump even at idle and not turning the wheel. Could there be something else that would take a pump out like that. I've got the pump out of the car and I'm getting ready to go get a replacement, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't something else I need to look out for before I put the new one on.

Thanks,

Keith

Hey everybody. I went out to dinner with my mom yesterday and we took her '95 SC400. Nothing unusual until we were on the way back. I went to make a turn and this terrible groaning sound came out from the Lexus :wacko:  My first thought was the pump. There is no fluid leakage that I can see at all. The resevoir is not down any. Just all of a sudden, something went south. I've never seen a pump go like this before, but it clearly has a rough sound coming from the pump even at idle and not turning the wheel. Could there be something else that would take a pump out like that. I've got the pump out of the car and I'm getting ready to go get a replacement, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't something else I need to look out for before I put the new one on.

Thanks,

Keith

STOP:

start your car, open the power steering resivoir until the noise goes away, shut it. this basically is a quick bleed. it removes excess air fromthe lines, mine does the same thing, i have a leak in one of the lines...

EDIT: CRAP you already have it out...nowya tell me, ok,

your lines are high pressure feeds, they will not leak when the car is off, but when you turn it on, they get blasted with pressure. if the seals are bad in the pressure lines they will leak, look at around $400 P&L to replace the main, and $250 P&L for each of the secondaries...replacing the pump will most likely not fix this.

• 1 month later...