Rear View Mirror

KY350

Hi folks. I registered with this forum today after speding the last week reading all about the LS400. Great forum BTW.

I have agreed to purchase a 1991 LS400 with 264,000km (approx 165,000miles). The car is in immaculate condition except for the following:

- small scrape and a little associated rust on one wheel arch - should be able to fix relatively cheaply

- small amount of wear on the drivers seat with the leather worn on the side support - the owner told me that this has been the same for the last 10 years as the car is always garaged day and night.

- trac and orange engine light sometimes appear on the dash (codes 51 and 55 respectively) - need to remove the manifold and get into the guts of the V8 to replace a knock sensor. Thinking of not doing this as the trac light only sometimes comes on.

- the extremities of the interior rear view mirror show a little blackening of the LCD panel - will it ever blacken to the extent that I won't be able to see out of the rear view mirror? If so, is this an expensive fix?

Every other component on the car is in immaculate condition (ie power steering pump / air cond / alternator / suspension / gearbox / stereo and clock LCD's etc). This car has been maintained by Lexus all its life :D Still has the original SS exhaust after 13 years - wow!!!

The timing belt was changed at 200,000km (approx 125,000 miles). When does this need to be done again? My mechanic tells me that Lexus have increased the timing chain interval from the initial 100,000km (60,000miles) to every 150,000km (94,000miles). So by my calculations, I need to see 350,000km (220,000) on the odometer before the next change - correct?

the extremities of the interior rear view mirror show a little blackening of the LCD panel - will it ever blacken to the extent that I won't be able to see out of the rear view mirror? If so, is this an expensive fix?

there is a little buttom at the bottom of the unit that tints the rear view mirror for daytime/nightime driving........ sometimes in certain temperature the tint shield will will be half way on and half way off, just hit the button and it should clear again.

if that is not the case, i would check ebay and/or a salvage yard and find a replacement. shouldn't cost you much

there is a little buttom at the bottom of the unit that tints the rear view mirror for daytime/nightime driving........ sometimes in certain temperature the tint shield will will be half way on and half way off, just hit the button and it should clear again.

Very clever Silvermate!!!

:cheers:

the extremities of the interior rear view mirror show a little blackening of the LCD panel - will it ever blacken to the extent that I won't be able to see out of the rear view mirror? If so, is this an expensive fix?

if that is not the case, i would check ebay and/or a salvage yard and find a replacement. shouldn't cost you much

Thanks Silvermate. I have tested the tint shield for night driving and it works fine. A friend who did own a 1990 LS400 told me that the rear view mirror does darken at the extremities as I descibed, but tends to dissappear with heat. So its not an issue for me at the moment as we are just about to head into summer down under. If this issue worsens during the cold months, then, I'll simply replace with another.