Should I Get The 92 Or The 95 Sc400

Jimbo1285

i just sold my 03 RX300 last week. now i'm looking for a Sc400. i been looking at 2 so far. both are black exterior the 92 has a gray interior with 91k asking for 8500 and the 95 has black interior with 130k asking for 11000. i really do like the 95 cuz it comes with more standard feature vs the 92 i think don't even come with a passenger airbag. and etc. i don't know which one i should get.

The 95 comes with a safer structure, as ConsumerGuides.com will tell you. Secondly, the exterior of the 95 is more aggressive looking, in addition to better looking alloys. However, I have a 95 and it's retail with 97000 miles is 11,100 (around there) I would try to negotiate with the seller of the 1995 model. Granted, if you don't really care for the differences, then by all means, go for the 1992 and save some $.

Here are what you need to do:

-Get the cars inspected by the dealer.

-Get the service report from the dealer (need VINs)

-Run CARFAX to make sure everything check out.

-Test drive the cars

Then make your decision base on those facts!

If the '92 checks-out I'd go with it. These are basically the same car. I put '95 rims on my '93 and it looks alot newer. I actually prefer the look of the earlier SC's before they removed the lower lip and went with the one piece nose. Although if you are not careful you can easily screw that lip up. I've already replaced one. $400.

I also like the looks of the earlier SC400s. The '95 will have dual airbags and the newer R34 AC and is slightly structurally better. There are plenty of SC400s for sale. The '96 has a slightly upgraded engine at 260 hp and the "98s on have the 5 speed auto with 290 hp but are far more expensive. Check out Ebay and Yahoo searches and before purchasing have a Lexus dealer inspect the car for $90 and get the Lexus service history and then get the carfax history before test driving them. Expect to change all fluids and filters. The power steering usually begins to leak at 75-100,00mi and the timing belt service is expensive at around 90,000mi . As for the esthetics-- an all black car can get very hot in the summer and can be dreary! I personally like the beige and grey colors or the harder to find spruce green which come with an ivory interior. Take your time and look at what is available. Good Luck

thanks i really do like the 95's they have a little bit more options to it. and i really like the tail lights. plus with the R134 i don't have to worry about change the a/c. I'm still looking one . Anyone have a 95 400 for sale in cal i'm so tired os driving my bucket around.

Thanks. well i test drive the 92 today when i stoped at a stop light turned on the a/c the car jerk forward a little . what can the problem be? and how much would it cost to fix.

Simple. When you stopped at the light you applied enough brake pressure to hold the car at 500 or so RPM that it idles. When you turned the A/C on the idle-up circuit increased the idle several hundred RPM, which puts more torque to the wheels, and the pressure you were holding the brakes at wasn't enough.

The SC400 is just a torquey bugger. :)

Aaron

p.s. If you want to see how a '92 Black on Tan SC looks with '98 GS400 17" rims and no rear wing, click the link below to my cardomain page. The best pics are on page 2....

hey sc_toy,that fuking car looks awesome!

That interior looks sick!!!  Howd u do that?

Thanks a lot! There's still more work to do on it. The pics on page 2 are how it sits now. The seats are just a vinyl recover job, I guess the previous owner wanted them that way. I'll eventually get new tan leather to change it back, unless I get custom leather covers made that look like that, we'll see.

The dash had a vinyl stick on woodgrain kit. Looked good from far but the fit and finish weren't up to lexus standards so I ripped it off. Also it looks like the steering wheels original leather wrap worn out because they took that off and installed a woodgrain thing. Again I'll eventually get a new proper leather wrap. Same thing with the shifter, unless I get a 5 speed in there, in which case I'd like a black boot and black leather wrapped knob.

Thanks again for the compliment! I think the rims do half the job of making hte car look good.

Aaron