2007 RX400H: broken passenger mirror mount - how to fix?

Hit my trashcan backing up - broke the mount studs. What are my options for remounting? Is the mount replaceable or would a strong epoxy hold it in place? Purchasing a used one and repainting is not something my mechanic advises cause he is convinced the color won't match and his bad luck with used parts.  Buying a new one and having my mechanic install is ~30% the car's value - seems like a financial misstep. Looking at the picture, doesn't it seem like the mounting plate could somehow be salvaged?  Possibly drill out the studs and put metal dowels for the lateral support and then a strong epoxy? Does anyone have a parts schematic showing the mount in detail? Thanks - Dan

mirror1.jpg

You could try grinding a slot (with a Dremel cutoff disc) in each stud and with a large screwdriver, try to thread each one out. A strong, 2-part epoxy may provide a strong bond on steel dowel pins, but what happens if you need to disassemble the mirror?

7 hours ago, RX400h said:

You could try grinding a slot (with a Dremel cutoff disc) in each stud and with a large screwdriver, try to thread each one out. A strong, 2-part epoxy may provide a strong bond on steel dowel pins, but what happens if you need to disassemble the mirror?

That's a good idea.  I was thinking of using a bolt extractor, but with the same intent.  Was really hoping someone would tell me how to remove the base mount to access the bottom of the broken screws, then reattach the mount to the mirror and glue the mount to the mirror base, assuming there would be a great amount of surface to bond to, but this is just speculation.  There maybe greater tension value in the dowel approach.  Thanks for replying.

I suggest removing the mirror from you RX and looking at the repair possibilities on a work bench.  I haven't removed an exterior mirror from an RX but I've removed and disassembled mirrors on other vehicles made by Toyota including ones that power fold.  It's not all that difficult to remove and reinstall but it usually does require removing the door panel.  All you need are interior trim tools, medium size Phillips screw driver and a metric socket set.

Or purchase a used exterior mirror assembly and have it repainted if necessary.  Maybe the paint won't match perfectly but after all it's a 17 year old low value vehicle.  No one except you will notice if the paint match isn't perfect. 

There are videos on YouTube on removing RX mirrors that I easily found with Google.

• Thanks 1