Hid Xenon Headlights

330Lover

I purchased an RX330 three weeks ago after owning a RX300 for 3 years. The headlights do not seem to be as bright as the old car and even seem to look more tungsten (yellowish) than the Xenon (bright blue white)

Any chance the color tempurature of the HID's has been changed in the 2005 models? :wacko:

I purchased an RX330 three weeks ago after owning a RX300 for 3 years. The headlights do not seem to be as bright as the old car and even seem to look more tungsten (yellowish) than the Xenon (bright blue white)

Any chance the color tempurature of the HID's has been changed in the 2005 models?:wacko:

HID bulbs shift towards blue with age, so your new ones might actually be more yellow than the used ones on your previous vehicle.

A bulb that starts at around 4200K may go up to 4800 to 5000K over time.

BARTKAT:

Thanks for the explanation. That seems to be more reasonable than what answers I have gotten from the dealer!

Glad that helps.

Philips acutally makes a replacement D2R bulb that is a higher color temp than stock. It's intended to match an older bulb when a user just wan't to replace one and not both.

Xenon HID ColorMatch

Over the lifetime of a Xenon gas discharge bulb, the color becomes more and more blue.  Xenon bulbs have a significant life span meaning that the only time that the bulb is replaced is when it fails.  To avoid a difference between a mature Xenon bulb and its replacement, Philips created Xenon HID ColorMatch.  Xenon HID ColorMatch bulbs have the same color appearance as mature Xenon gas discharge bulbs – those of a more intense blue - meaning that car owners now replace only one Xenon HID lamp without upsetting the appearance and design of the car.

http://www.lighting.philips.com/in_en/cons...ighting〈=en

Another possibility is the difference between projector headlights and reflector like on your 300. I've found the projectors tend to have a whiter beam but a bluer appearance, if that makes sense.

What are the replacement costs for a factory HID bulb?  Just wondered if I shoule prepare myself for the day they burn out & I don't fall over at the price.  :unsure:

:cheers:

$50 to $100 each. I've noticed that the "discount" parts stores around here are starting to carry them.

Bulbs should last a long time though, since there is no filament to burn out.