Sunroof Whistles

I have es3000 with 10k miles on it. When ever I go above 55 mhp, sunroof starts whistling. If i close the sunroof shade, the noise is gone. I tool it to the dealer 3 times so far, no luck. They alway tell me, that there is no whistle problem on this car, yet the road test shows the problem. I sanyoen else having this problem? Is there a solution? It just takes all the fun away :-(

SL

I have es3000 with 10k miles on it. When ever I go above 55 mhp, sunroof starts whistling. If i close the sunroof shade, the noise is gone. I tool it to the dealer 3 times so far, no luck. They alway tell me, that there is no whistle problem on this car, yet the road test shows the problem. I sanyoen else having this problem? Is there a solution? It just takes all the fun away :-(

first off, lexus doesn't make an ES3000. Given you only have 10k miles, I am guessing you have a 2002 or 2003 ES. If so, there is a TSB for the moonroof gasket. They will replace it with a new one.

If you meant to type 100k miles then I would guess it is an older model. The gasket around the moonroof has become dry and brittle. A tight seal is not being made around the edge of the moonroof.

Three solutions.

1. Have the gasket replaced. The TSB takes care of that on the 2002-2004 models. If not it will take about 2 hours for the labor (~$90/hr) and about $30 for the new gasket if one is available for your year car/moonroof. I have heard that in some makes you have to replace the entire glass to get a new gasket....doesn't make sence to me.

2. Adjust or reposition the moonroof itself to make a tighter seal where ever the air is getting in (ie, leading edge, trailing edge, right side, left side). This may tighten the seal on a particular side but may cause a new one on the opposite side.

3. Try some spray or gel silicone on the gasket. This may revitalize the aging rubber. Mind you this is only a very temporary fix.

steviej

first off, lexus doesn't make an ES3000. Given you only have 10k miles, I am guessing you have a 2002 or 2003 ES. If so, there is a TSB for the moonroof gasket. They will replace it with a new one.

If you meant to type 100k miles then I would guess it is an older model. The gasket around the moonroof has become dry and brittle. A tight seal is not being made around the edge of the moonroof.

Three solutions.

1. Have the gasket replaced. The TSB takes care of that on the 2002-2004 models. If not it will take about 2 hours for the labor (~$90/hr) and about $30 for the new gasket if one is available for your year car/moonroof. I have heard that in some makes you have to replace the entire glass to get a new gasket....doesn't make sence to me.

2. Adjust or reposition the moonroof itself to make a tighter seal where ever the air is getting in (ie, leading edge, trailing edge, right side, left side). This may tighten the seal on a particular side but may cause a new one on the opposite side.

3. Try some spray or gel silicone on the gasket. This may revitalize the aging rubber. Mind you this is only a very temporary fix.

steviej

Thanks Steviej,

Yeah it is 2002, es300 with 10k miles. I went to dealer 3 times already. Last time he put body plugs (don't know what that is - something to do with airflow) Now I am with loaner and that doesn't make any whistleing...so..I am optimistic.

Thanks,

SL

I just had the moonroof TSB performed on my 2002. Not because of whistles but because of creaking. The new weatherstrip (63251-48030) is much better than the one that came stock and makes a really nice seal.....no creaks no whistles, no leaks.

Push for them to replace it. The TSB number is:

NV005-04 MAY 04 Body - Rattles/Squeaks From Moonroof

steviej

I have a 2003 ES. My moonroof was bad from the beginning. Horribly loud banging and clanking when it opened and closed. It also rattled disconcertingly when driving above about 50 mph. First time, they told me it was pollen. Next time they told me it needed to be cleaned. Next time they just told me it was broken. I think it was after the fourth time that a TSB came out. It isn't banging or clanking for the moment, but I'm hearing some rubbing and slight creaking which leads me to believe that it may return to its old ways. :(

I have a 2003 ES.  My moonroof was bad from the beginning.  Horribly loud banging and clanking when it opened and closed.  It also rattled disconcertingly when driving above about 50 mph.  First time, they told me it was pollen.  Next time they told me it needed to be cleaned.  Next time they just told me it was broken.  I think it was after the fourth time that a TSB came out.  It isn't banging or clanking for the moment, but I'm hearing some rubbing and slight creaking which leads me to believe that it may return to its old ways.  :(

Thanks for replies.

What is tsb?? I am bit lost on this one. I even searched net.nada

Confused.. :-(

SL

I have a 2003 ES.  My moonroof was bad from the beginning.  Horribly loud banging and clanking when it opened and closed.  It also rattled disconcertingly when driving above about 50 mph.  First time, they told me it was pollen.  Next time they told me it needed to be cleaned.  Next time they just told me it was broken.  I think it was after the fourth time that a TSB came out.  It isn't banging or clanking for the moment, but I'm hearing some rubbing and slight creaking which leads me to believe that it may return to its old ways.  :(

Thanks for replies.

What is tsb?? I am bit lost on this one. I even searched net.nada

Confused.. :-(

SL

TSB = technical service bulletin

Thanks all for you help.

Well, FInally I got my car back it has new sunroof. I still need to test it to make sure that problem is solved. BTW: I noticed, my old sunroof had polarized glass, this one doesn't...not sure which is better? I sthat I problem? I am sure I will lose my sleep on it, but is that something I should be reporting to dealer?

SL

Thanks all for you help.

Well, FInally I got my car back it has new sunroof. I still need to test it to make sure that problem is solved. BTW: I noticed, my old sunroof had polarized glass, this one doesn't...not sure which is better? I sthat I problem? I am sure I will lose my sleep on it, but is that something I should be reporting to dealer?

SL

i wouldnt, in fact, mine is polarized, but i intend to have it tinted, that way i can leave ths shade open most fo the time and nto have to worry about sun fade. i like the shade open.

if yours isnt polarized, it shouldnt cost more than $30 or so to have limo tint put on it, then you never have to worry about it again :)

but if you dont like it the way iot is, and you would rather have polazed, take it back. :)