life support system

The A/C went out again. I put some Freon in and it blew cold but the engine surged when the compressor came on. It now blows cold first start in the morning (high 60s). After that the compressor runs but no cold air and I still get the surging! Any thoughts on this thing.  Especially the surging. Warm here in the daytime.

Thanks for your help     Ed

It sounds like you’re experiencing a few different issues with your car’s air conditioning system. Here are a few possibilities:

1. Refrigerant Overcharge: If too much refrigerant (Freon) is added, it can cause the A/C to blow warm air and the engine to surge when the compressor engages. It’s important to add the correct amount of refrigerant to avoid this issue.

2. Faulty Compressor: The compressor is the heart of your car’s A/C system. If it’s not working properly, it can cause the system to blow warm air. The surging you’re experiencing when the compressor comes on could be a sign of a compressor problem.

3. Electrical Issues: The A/C system is controlled by a series of electrical switches, sensors, and relays. If any of these components fail, it can cause the system to blow warm air or the engine to surge.

4. Leak in the A/C System: If there’s a leak in the system, the refrigerant will slowly escape, causing the A/C to blow warm air. The leak could be anywhere in the system, including the compressor, condenser, or one of the lines or hoses.

Given these possibilities, it would be best to have your vehicle inspected by a professional mechanic. They can perform a series of tests to determine the exact cause of the problem and recommend the appropriate repairs. 

Thank you Dave, That is very informative! The gauges on these refill cans must be bogus. It read overfull 3 days ago so I took some out, down to just barely into the green.

This afternoon it read overfull again so I took more out. I am aware of a leak somewhere but the A/C mechanics are so expensive over here. I'll see what tomorrow brings.

thanks and God bless     Ed