rear differential fluid exchange

SRX

When I had my oil/filter changed and tires rotated at a Lexus dealership on my 2011 RX450h with 53,000 miles, it was suggested I exchange the rear differential fluid.  I declined this service.  The warranty and service guide for the vehicle states to inspect the rear differential fluid (AWD only) through 180 months or 150,000 miles interval.  Never a mention of an exchange in the warranty service guide which came with the vehicle.  Any thoughts?    

Did you ask them why they are recommending a change? Is there a "severe service" schedule that lists more frequent changes? I agree that most likely, it is not yet necessary to do.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.  I'll double check the manual for servere service recommendations, but my vehicle is not used in conditions typically listed as severe conditions.   I did not ask why the service was being recommended; only knew the service manual did not agree with the recommendation.  Again, thanks!

• 1 month later...

Ours at 133K miles had a rear differential leak (just a couple drops on garage floor, saw it immediately and the left rear axle had seepage where it connects to the drivetrain, a seal on the left axle and axle nut needed to be replaced.  ~$1,200 for Lexus to repair (almost all labor, the seals cost very little) - and at that time they also changed the differential fluid, which I don't think it had been done at any time prior.  Just thought I'd mention for those who stumble across this prior post....

I appreciate you sharing your experience.  Not an inexpensive repair, but no more leaks!  I feel comfortable following the service manual for differential fluid replacement and not the dealership recommendation that this service be done much earlier than the manual.