MAF sensor -price wise-

unknwn

The only DTC code I was presented while troubleshooting this 01 AWD was the Intake Air Temperature sensor as faulty.

While investigating, I learned that IAT was an integral part to the MAF, and while performing testing I learned that the IAT thermistor does NOT pass muster. Everything I've learned indicates that this is absolutely important for proper ECU signaling and fuel injection system to function properly.

I found and tested half a dozen in a bone yard, all deficient. This particular part number is used on a -raft- of different car brands/years/models.

Replacement parts are readily available, but the pricing (and warrantee coverage) is all over the map (MAF heh-heh) from about $40, all the way up to -or- exceeding $200. And expect that for the high end cost, a name recognizable (Denso (?) ) part generally won't have warranty going past one year.

I also learned, by trading messages with the Denso company, that they feel, unless you purchase from -their- recognized distribution network, for the -rather high- manufacturer's suggested retail pricing, that they aren't going to be overly concerned with any stated warranty that their replacement parts are touted to carry (so, forget Amazon, or RockAuto, the manufacturer doesn't recognize them as legitimate (!) ).

So, I found that for about $100, AdvanceAuto will warranty THEIR house-brand MAF sensor ( -and- ignition coil-on- plug units) on a Limited Lifetime basis, to the original purchaser.

Would a price/warrantee conscious consumer be best served buying the $100 unit, -or- get involved with the 1/2-of-that circus for what is ultimately a part that is imperative for proper function of the vehicle?

Oh, something else I learned by quizzing the folks at Denso, is that you needn't expect that your genuine Denso product is any longer necessarily going to be manufactured in the United States (as nearly ALL of their stuff had been for a LONG time), or -preferably- Japan, but could/might/(who's to say ?) be sourced in CHINA now. I initially discerned this on the Amazon product page, where Country of Origin for Denso branded coils -plainly- showed CoA as China, but had that -utter let down- verified by the response I received straight from the representative's keyboard at Denso themselves.

It looks like the -ONLY- way you can expect to get -THAT- part sourced/produced by a genuine Japanese manufactory is to spend the high-end (nearly $200 -or more!) for a Hitachi unit, and even THAT won't get you any better than a 12 month warranty. 

I'd prefer to not buy $35 parts for $100, and periodically rattle the cages at AdvanceAuto for warrantied parts, but, how can a person realize any other suitable option for this racket/go-around?  

Hello, Charles.

I don't think any part you buy, except tires and batteries have more than a year warranty, do they? If you buy a $4000 TV from Best Buy, the manufacturer's warranty is probably 1 or 2 years at the most.

This is 2023; the days of inexpensive parts left the station, long ago. 

But can you fault the aforementioned national franchise parts dealer's Lifetime (to an original purchaser) Replacement warranty? If you prefer the utter loyalty to the Original equipment manufacturer (Denso) so that you, as a customer, can expect their adherence to the 12 months replacement as described under the 'warranty', then your ONLY avenue is to -pay- the price -expected- to a recognized (by Denso -only!-) member of the fraternity as designated by Denso. That will cost 3-times (plus) as much for the part described as Denso on a website operated by Amazon -or- RockAuto,

Edited by unknwn
website faulted - message posted incompletely