Distance To Empty Gauge Cheating Me

mrsel3

I decided to take a one day trip to pennsylvania. 200 miles each way. I filled up in NJ and the gauge read 180 miles to empty after filing up the tank. I drove and the gauge graudally read lower and lower. WHen I was heading back i filled up again and again 180 miles left. now i have a little more than 1/4 tank and it reads 60 miles.

I am going to fill it up again and see what happens.

I always use super and warm up the car. It needs an oil change, however i doubt that is the problem , it has only been 3500 miles.

any toughts? anyone at all? don't be shy come on!!!

yep!

hmm... that is weird, from what you told me it seems that the onboard computer that projects fuel economy is stuck at the preset of 180 miles and it can't reset properly. since it's a 2002 and you only put 3500 on the clock, just take it to the dealer and have them look at it. that's what i would do

I have an 04' with only 7K on it and have the same issue. It's been like that since I bought it. It seem that the fuel gauge "estimator" always reads 286 on it every time I fill up. The estimate gauge is completely off on my car. I've actually go betwen 340-400 miles on one tank. When my Empty light comes on...the fuel estimate gauge usually at zero. Maybe that's what it does...so you don't run out of gas. Of course, I have about another 5 gallons left in the tank.