Oil Filter O-ring Replacement 93 Es

meda808

the oil filter is easy to replace. The o-ring is attached to the filter.

you don't have to do anything to the header to get the filter except wait for it to cool a bit.

Sometimes the oil ring from an old filter stays behind when the old one is removed. the new filter is put on and now you have two filters. This can cause leaks because you now have a thick space of gasket. Also filters that are not tight can weep oil.

what makes you think it is the oil filter o-ring? Valve cover gaskets are a particular problem area for oil burning on older ES's.

steviej

replacing the O ring is that easy? because when I brought my car in to Lexus for a routine service, they said I have some small oil leaks on the valve cover gaskets, distributor O ring and oil filter housing O ring. for the oil filter housing O ring they wanted $150 to replace it. could you please comment on this steviej or anyone because it seems that the O ring Lexus is talking about is different from the gasket that comes with the oil filter. thanks.

-Andrew

replacing the O ring is that easy?  because when I brought my car in to Lexus for a routine service, they said I have some small oil leaks on the valve cover gaskets, distributor O ring and oil filter housing O ring.  for the oil filter housing O ring they wanted $150 to replace it.  could you please comment on this steviej or anyone because it seems that the O ring Lexus is talking about is different from the gasket that comes with the oil filter.  thanks.

-Andrew

Andrew I don't doubt you. I assumed he meant the o-ring that is part of the filter. In all the cars I have worked on and owned, I have never seen a separate one on the housing. On my current 1MZ-FE the oil filter housing looks molded into the block and there is no o-ring that I can see other than what comes on the filter itself. The 93 engine could be different.

steviej

ya i have a '92 with a 3VZ-FE engine and if it's just the gasket that comes with the oil filter that needs replacing then shouldn't it have been replaced when they did the oil change ? ehh...i'm mainly thinking about with spark plugs i should get (going to get a 60k service done on it). i'll worry about the small leaks after. thanks for the response steviej.

-Andrew

On the older ES there is an oil filter adapter. Th oil filter does not attach directly to the engine. The O-ring in question goes between the adapter and engine block. You do not have to remove the exhaust.

oh okay i get it now, thanks for clearing that up. maybe i should just have it replaced when i get my major service then, since it's right there.