High Speed Shake (vibration) Need Answer 10/30

dockerguy

The saga of my '93 ES300 continues. Today I have to decide.

I notced a vibration over 70 last Sunday and took it to Sears to have the tires balanced. The guy said they were "way" out of balance, but coming home, the ride was worse.

I haven't driven it since then until last night and noticed:

It starts shaking at about 73 and up. The whole car, not just the steering wheel. BUT, it seems to be intermittent. Sometimes when I let off the gas it stops, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it shakes accelerating after 80, sometimes it stops at 80.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I can't imagine it's the tires since they would be consistant, I would think.

I need an answer today, Oct. 30, as I have to decide whether to keep it or not.

Thanks in advance!

Stevie,

My heart's still in it. I love the car, especially now — I took it back to Sears and they said "Well, it's nothing, a weight just fell off"! I said I had waited 3.5 hours last Sunday and had to come back today (15 mi. each way) and it's "JUST a weight that fell off??????"

The vibaration and shaking is gone! They re-balanced all four wheels. I don't understand how balancing could be intermittent like that, though, but I had it up to 95 on the freeway and it was smooth.

I guess I'm resigned to taking the $800.00 and putting another $12-$1400.00 into it and have a nice Lex. (Is that what we "clubbers" <read "fanatics" or "groupie"> do — put a lot of money into cars?

It's going to be a hassle to get it repaired, and expensive (considering what I paid for it), but hopefully it will be worth it.

Whew, am I glad it was just tire weights!

Have a good weekend!

you can't delete the topic. you can stop responding to it and it will slowly and silently slip away to the back pages of the ES forum.

If you wish, I can lock the thread so that no one else can respond to it either.

Everytime someone responds to a thread, that thread is bumped to the top of the list on page 1.

let me know your wishes.

steviej.

Stevie,

I don't know if anyone would find the topic useful, but they may. I sure never thought wheel balance could effect that it did; i.e., being intermittent. Otherwise, you can lock it as I'm finished with the topic.

Thanks!