Check Engine Light On Lx450

dsmith23

Hello all, I have a LX450 and it has been having some slight white smoke out the tail pipe when it is first cranked up. Afterwards, it seems to go away. This has been a problem for a little while but I hadnt addressed it. Now my check engine light has come on and I am not sure why. I called the Toyota dealership who does the Maint on it and a lady told me it could be an emmissions problem. Anybody have any thoughts or experiences on check engine lights coming on?? Something tells me I am headed for big bucks!!!

Yes i did, dont need to be panic --> one word replace ur EGR valve cap & get new one from toyota dealers ~after that :whistles: :)

And one thing to remember ! When you talk boud the internal engine parts not to the lady, allright? But when the time u need to pay what u ordered then u can go to the ladies... :D

some autoparts stores will check the engine code for free -- they won't translate them, but will be able to pull the code. Autozone is one that comes to mind, but I don't know if there's one near you. Check around -- the Toyota/Lexus dealerships will charge at least $60 to pull the code (their "diagnostic charge").

The 450s are ODB II compliant, essentially, all you need is an OBD II reader (which can be found on ebay) to pull the code. If you have a factory service manual (FSM), you can get the translation of the code. If you don't have a FSM, I do and can provide the translation for you.

It could be the egr valve, but you won't know for sure until you get that code pulled.

Go to a local auto parts store get it scan and post it here so we could help you out! I have the same problem with my SC400 (Code PO441); narrawed it down to VSV switch and charcoal canister. Just replaced the VSV switch (cheaper), reset the code and it has not come back after over 500 miles so hope it was the fix (do not want to spend over $300 for the canister) So just get the code; post it and someone here will help to figure it out! Good Luck

some autoparts stores will check the engine code for free -- they won't translate them, but will be able to pull the code.  Autozone is one that comes to mind, but I don't know if there's one near you.  Check around -- the Toyota/Lexus dealerships will charge at least $60 to pull the code (their "diagnostic charge").

The 450s are ODB II compliant, essentially, all you need is an OBD II reader (which can be found on ebay) to pull the code.  If you have a factory service manual (FSM), you can get the translation of the code.  If you don't have a FSM, I do and can provide the translation for you.

It could be the egr valve, but you won't know for sure until you get that code pulled.

I bet its you O2 sensor(s). I had to replace mine.

Go to Auto Zone they will read your code for free.

If it is the O2, make sure to get a new gasket with the new sensor.

I replaced them both right away. They are a 75-100 bucks on ebay.

dakrri

I owned a 1995 Landcruiser for 4 years and this light came on twice. The first time was for worn out oxygen sensors. There are 2 of them and I believe they were nearly $200 each to replace. About 1 1/2 years later the light came on again. I took it in for diagnostics and they told me it was the catalytic converter this time. This is where it gets interesting. I called my cousin who owns a high end mechanic and car sales shop. He said that it might only be a bad tank of gas setting off the light. He told me to disconnect the battery cables for about 3 minutes and then reconnect them. If the light comes back on, then it's likely the diagnosis was correct. If not, then probably just bad gas. I disconnected the battery and reconnected per his advice and the light did not come back on. This simple little test saved me about $800.00. My wife has a Toyota Sienna. Her engine light came on about the same time as mine. It turned out that we had both purchased gas at the same station about the same time. I did the battery disconnect thing with hers and the light went out as well. I think this is a great and cheap way to double check your dummy lights.