Trouble Light: Maint Reqd

glr

The amber maintenance required light suddenly displayed itself on my ES330 after approximately 15,500 miles. Page 64 of the Owners Manual is direct...if the MAINT REQD light comes on then do this...Replace engine oil.

No problem...I'll do it this weekend.

Nonetheless I'd like to know what triggers this warning. I have performed two oil and filter changes so far @ 5,500 and 11,000.

The current oil level is fine, the mobil 1 looks clean and relatively clear on the dipstick and I still have about 250 miles to go until the current oil is 5,000 miles old. Yet the light goes on.

I am unaware of any of the sophisticated oil quality sensors on this 2004 model but maybe I am mistaken or maybe my Lexus mechanic has a boat payment coming due. :blink:

In anycase maybe one of you highly technical, highly sophisticated Lexus owners have some insight to how this works.

greg

Guess what..the answer is in the manual. Evidently, in addition to the maintenance tracker within the navigation system there is second oil change monitoring system that requires updating by holding the trip odometer and turning the key to the on position. The second system I refer to illuminates the MAINT REQD light after 5,000 miles from the previous reset.

Obviously I am more enamored by the car then the manual...but I am trying.

:cheers: