Cel With Vsc Light On

rayikone

While driving today, the CEL and VSC lights both came on. I pulled over and called the service dept. They had asked whether I had just filled up with gas, which I had not. They acted like it was no big deal and it would only take a few minutes to fix. Has anyone had this problem? My RX 330 only has 5800 miles on it.

Remove your gas cap, allow it to remain off for 30 seconds, then replace it and ensure that you twist it until your hear five or six "clicks". Give the vehicle at least four or five cycles of starting and driving over a couple of days before you do anything else. If the lights haven't gone off by then, you'll need to have your trouble codes read. Your dealer should do this as well as handle all associated repairs for you under warranty.

If this is an oxygen sensor failure at 5,800 miles, it will be the soonest I've ever heard of one failing. If you've been following this forum over the past several months, you already know that premature oxygen sensor failure has been a common problem in the RX series.

Remove your gas cap, allow it to remain off for 30 seconds, then replace it and ensure that you twist it until your hear five or six "clicks".  Give the vehicle at least four or five cycles of starting and driving over a couple of days before you do anything else.  If the lights haven't gone off by then, you'll need to have your trouble codes read.  Your dealer should do this as well as handle all associated repairs for you under warranty.

If this is an oxygen sensor failure at 5,800 miles, it will be the soonest I've ever heard of one failing.  If you've been following this forum over the past several months, you already know that premature oxygen sensor failure has been a common problem in the RX series.

Thanks RX. I'll try that and see what happens.

Well, yes, and NO.

To meet EPA ratings the gas tank is being kept in a slight vacuum so that vapors are trapped. The system detects when the cap is opened for refilling becuase the fill level will be higher when the cap is replaced. If you simply remove the cap without refilling then the diagnostic light will illuminate. same thing happens if the cap doesn't fully seal.