2003 Es300 Engine Whirrrrrrrrrrr

Concord

My 2003 engine has a very distinct engine whirrrrrrrrrring noise. If I rev the engine the noise also intensifies. It's high pitched in nature. Anyone else have this condition and have you had it corrected? Car only has 12,000 miles on it. The noise is not from drive belt but sounds almost like a belt squeal

Thanks

with only 12K on it, take it to the dealer, they should not charge you to do a repair, or even a diagnostic. with that few miles this is my best suggestion, i have never heard of anything on a toyota failing before 20K unless time was a factor....sorry i cant be of more help.

Happened on mine, especially after cold startups?

The dealer looked at it and replaced the belts for me under warranty, said they had gotten a little dry. Problem solved. They were nowhere near failure, just the quiet nature of the engine making the slightly worn belts more noticable.

Happened on mine, especially after cold startups?

The dealer looked at it and replaced the belts for me under warranty, said they had gotten a little dry. Problem solved. They were nowhere near failure, just the quiet nature of the engine making the slightly worn belts more noticable.

as did my 02 at 30,000 miles last winter.

belts replaced....squeal on startup gone.

steviej

Oh yeah, it will whirr when idling, I could even hear mine at low speeds sometimes. It just seemed mine was worse at startup.

My guess is its the belts, they'll replace them under warranty.

walk around the car with the engine bay open. see if you can't hear or pinpoint the whirrrr.

could be a defective fuel pump or one on its way out. This sound would actually come from around the area of under the back seat and under the trunk and not the engine bay.

steviej

OK here is the problem: Alternator

The whine is coming from the alternator. Try this: listen to your engine at idle and slowly rev it. You will here a slight whine or whirrrring sound. Now load up the alternator(put on seat heaters,rear defrost,lights) now do the same. The noise will increase dramatically. Although there is nothing wrong with the mechanical function of the alternator, in my opinion it should be much quieter...It's a Lexus not a Dodge.

The first lexus tech gave me the "thats normal" BS. So I asked the service manager to show me another car that sounded like mine. He couldn't. They called over the Big dog master tech and he knew exactly what it was. Even told me that loading it up would increase the noise. Said unfortunatley some are louder than others. Said if it gets much louder they would replace it.

Knowing what it is has given me piece of mind and I made sure the info was documented in the vehicles service records as "alternator whine" instead of "that's normal"

Try the test guys let me know your results.

if its not the belts, it is the pulleys, or at least, one of them anyways. sometimes the bearings in those pullyes go bad and they will whirr.

since the speed of the serp belt is constant and it doesnt go any faster when you rev the engine, the noise wil stay the same, no matter what speed. the only difference will be the noise from you motor/road noise (its a lexus for Petes sake, what road noise?? LOL) will increase to the point that it will drown it out.

bearings in the alternator pully. lexus's are not supposed ot make noise. even my 15 eyar old lexus doesnt make any noises like that. take it to a private mechainc if it bothers you that much. but if you are able to, i woudl change the belt yourself, ill bet that stops it...remember some of these techs dont know a scredriver from a socket wrench. :)

there are many many dealers across america that have signs that say "ASE Certified". this will not nessecarily mean that all their techs are certified, IIRC they are only req'd to have one ASE Cert. Tech for every 5 regular techs. Just FYI. granted, these are lexus dealerships, and we like to think better fo them then that, but i know for a fact, that some chevy, doge, ford and even some BMW dealers do it this way.

EDIT: yes i know the master tech said that...LOL.

No reason to take it to an independent mechanic, make the dealer replace the alternator if its making noises that are obtrusive. If you push they will replace it, they think you're satisfied now. Thats an excellent point Army had about the alternator making a constant sound, I hadn't thought about that.

thanks SW03ES.

i just re-read and the tech said

"if it gets much louder then we will replace it"

that tells me he thinks there is something wrong and he either doesnt want to mess with it (alternators can be a PITA) or he doesnt see the need. either way, push for it.

Uummmmmmmmmmmmm...What kind of Lexus do you drive that has a constant accy belt speed??    There is no such animal.

thats what i said! LOL, even my 15 year old Lexi doesnt amke any kind of engine noiise...sooth as a babies !Removed!, she sure will growl at you in the revs though ;)