Clunk Sound In Left Rear When Braking

Leroy

My son found that as he brakes and the car slows down to say 20 MPH or so, there is a "clunk" sound coming from the rear, seems like the left rear. You don't feel anything, just hear the sound. It's almost like a 2 pound metal ball rolling across the trunk and hitting metal. It doesn't do it everytime, but probably most. We didn't see anything in the trunk rolling around!

Would seem to be brakes, but don't understand how it could happen.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I think it could be anything, but happens as we brake. Will do some looking to see if there is a lug nug rolling around.

UPDATE: did look and the back is clean, nothing loose.

Thanks

did you take the spare tire out.  May be an extra lug nut down in the compartment?

Are you sure it is braking related and not suspension?

steviej

• 1 year later...

I think it could be anything, but happens as we brake. Will do some looking to see if there is a lug nug rolling around.

UPDATE: did look and the back is clean, nothing loose.

Thanks

did you take the spare tire out.  May be an extra lug nut down in the compartment?

Are you sure it is braking related and not suspension?

steviej

Did you find anything since then? I think I am having exactly same problem with my 2000 ES300 (w/110,000 miles). Dealer could not find any problem. They checked my rear strut, shock. etc and they told me everything is fine. I still hear the sound however it became less frequent.