Air Conditioner Compressor

twinturbo

Uh-Oh....It sounds like the compressor clutch may be going bad. My sister has a buick le sabre with exact oppisite problem, the clutch won't fully dis-engage so the A/C has to be left on all the time.

For the sake of your wallet I hope this isn't the case.

Uh-Oh....It sounds like the compressor clutch may be going bad. My sister has a buick le sabre with exact oppisite problem, the clutch won't fully dis-engage so the A/C has to be left on all the time.

For the sake of your wallet I hope this isn't the case.

Wow....

Sounds scary...

Thanks, anyway..

It could also be caused by heat.

Can you give more detail??

Does it work only when it is hot outside? If that is true it could be that you are on the very edge of being too low on freon for the system to run. When it is hot outside then the vapor pressure of the freon is higher telling the pressure switch that there is enough to run the compressor without damage.

Or, it could be a pressure switch that is going bad.

Or, it could be a lot of things. It could be the clutch.

You won't know until you have it checked out.

Tom

Thanks, Tom.

It happens whenever.. .now..

When I turn the air-con on, I see sparks around the compressor pully for about 10 sec. and A/C swich blinks then the compressor pully goes back to the initial position.

What do you think, Tom..?

The belts are ok.. by the way..

Unfortunatly not many things are cheap on the lexus. That said with enough searching you can always find somthing less than dealer prices.

Now somthing to help, I work in a shop and have access to ALLDATA which is pretty much the standard by which shops get repair times.

I would be more than happy to look that up for you if you like just PM me or tack on to the thread.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

hello guys,

i know very little about cars and a fairly new owner of a 93 sc400. my ac doesnt blow cold air since last summer. my initial thought was that i should recharge freon. thought of switiching to the new freon also and asked a few people if it can be done.some said ya sure.. but i was not sure if i should do it. so i slept on it...

then eventually took it to the dealer for a different reason and asked them about my ac system. they didn't charge me for ac system check... so i am sure they didnt actually thoroughly look and diagnose the system. they told me that it needs new compressor. didn't give me a written document.. just told me that. so i was kinda suspicious...

i looked in this forum and found the A/C Self diagnostic procedure and found codes 21 and 23 as recent failures. 21 being solar sensor cuicuit and 23 being a current problem (as this one is not stored in memory) with "pressure switch cuircuit". the procedure says that it can trigger 21 if the check was done in a "dark" area. i did the check at 2 pm on a cloudy day under the trees.. so it's not exactly sunny but not really dark either. procedure says 'shine a light at the solar sensor and check again.' but i have no idea where the solar sensor is?

and code 23.. dont know what to do about that, where i should take the car, what should i ask them to do, how much it might cost, can it be fixed easily.. i dont know about cars, but i am not afraid to try it myself if its not toooo difficult or hard to reach or car doesnt need lifting. college student here.. so u know how it is... money is an issue.

thanks for all your suggestions..