Thunk Sound When Turning Right.

I have a 91 es250. When i am in a quiet area of town, i can hear a constant thud or thunk noise when i turn right, cant really describe it more than that. When im turning left there isnt any noise.

The noise isnt erratic it's like thunk..thunk..thunk..

Does anyone have an idea of what this could be?

Thanks

Chris

I have a 91 es250. When i am in a quiet area of town, i can hear a constant thud or thunk noise when i turn right, cant really describe it more than that. When im turning left there isnt any noise.

The noise isnt erratic it's like thunk..thunk..thunk..

Does anyone have an idea of what this could be?

Thanks

Chris

Could be a defective constant velocity(CV) joint on the driveaxle. This could be checked by a shop that deals with front end repairs or Lexus Service.

I looked at the CV boot on the drivers side, it's ripped.

Is that something that needs to be repaired right away?

I went on ebay, and found a replacement boot that comes with the grease, and clamps. Would it be easy for me to replace the boot on the axle with the ripped boot.

I dont have a lot of experience with disasembling my car.

Thanks for your time

Chris

The fact that the CV boot is already ripped, the CV joint itself might have already been ruined because of dirt and water, so replacing the boot won't help at this point. On factory type boots the driveaxle has to be removed as opposed to aftermarket split boots, like the kind you've seen on eBay. The CV joint should be checked for proper operation before replacing the boot. ;)

For what a 1/2 shafts costs today, it's more beneficial to just replace the shaft. If you hear clunk clunk clunk then metal is already meeting metal. It only get worse from there. This is something to put on the "in the next few weeks" repair list.

If you do the work yourself and get the 1/2 shaft at Autozne or the equivalent it will cost you less than $100 and about an hour and a half of your time. The key to to know what you are doing or have someone with you that knows what to do.

It is a very simple procedure, but knowledge is the key. If not any good independent shop can do it for less than the Lexus shop.

steviej