How Can I Fix My Seat?

ec437

It looks like a warped seat frame. Perhaps someone pressed back in the seat to hard over a long period of time? I had a 1984 Honda Accord years ago that had a seat like this. I tried to "push" it back into shape, but no go. I have actually seen a few cars at dealers like this. I think it is mainly where too much pressure is placed on the seat back.

It looks like a warped seat frame.  Perhaps someone pressed back in the seat to hard over a long period of time?  I had a 1984 Honda Accord years ago that had a seat like this.  I tried to "push" it back into shape, but no go.  I have actually seen a few cars at dealers like this.  I think it is mainly where too much pressure is placed on the seat back.

HAHA! It was repairable, and it wasn't a warped seat frame. You know how the power seat reclines back? Well, the mechanism that does that wasn't working right. Turns out only one side (left side) of it worked, leaving the other side always in that position. I took apart the seat, and with much grief and a few !Removed! knuckles, realigned the two sides and slid the little turning bar thing back into place and superglued it there. Hopefully the superglue will hold so I won't have to take it all apart again to epoxy or JB weld it.

Am I really the only one with this problem?

It looks like a warped seat frame.  Perhaps someone pressed back in the seat to hard over a long period of time?  I had a 1984 Honda Accord years ago that had a seat like this.  I tried to "push" it back into shape, but no go.  I have actually seen a few cars at dealers like this.  I think it is mainly where too much pressure is placed on the seat back.

HAHA! It was repairable, and it wasn't a warped seat frame. You know how the power seat reclines back? Well, the mechanism that does that wasn't working right. Turns out only one side (left side) of it worked, leaving the other side always in that position. I took apart the seat, and with much grief and a few !Removed! knuckles, realigned the two sides and slid the little turning bar thing back into place and superglued it there. Hopefully the superglue will hold so I won't have to take it all apart again to epoxy or JB weld it.

Am I really the only one with this problem?

I would suggest replacing the aluninum bar going across the two gear. Let us know if we can help.

JPI

ec437-I have the same problem with my driver's seat. I haven't taken the time yet to take the seat out and look at it, though. What is the "little turning bar thing" you described earlier? It the seat very hard to take apart to get to this or is it easily assesible once the seat is out?

ec437-I have the same problem with my driver's seat.  I haven't taken the time yet to take the seat out and look at it, though.  What is the "little turning bar thing" you described earlier?  It the seat very hard to take apart to get to this or is it easily assesible once the seat is out?

http://www.cureline.net/lex/howtos/info_seats.htm

Sorry, I didn't take any pics while I was doing it, just take the seat apart and press the buttons and you'll see what the problem is.

Thanks ec437!!

I hope to have time this weekend to mess with it.  I will let you know how it turns out.

yeah, once you get the back panel off, that "plastic bar" (actually a metal bar with a plastic tube thing over it) is at the very bottom of the back section of the seat.You'll be able to see it when you get the back off, but I had to unclip some of the leather and other material and press the foam rubber cushion back to be able to get my vicegrips in there to move it. Be sure you adjust the left side of the seat to match the right side BEFORE you slide the bar over. This is also when you would want to apply glue, I think you'll see where you have to do that; I don't think glue is really necessary, but would probably be a good idea if you adjust your seat alot. When you do slide the bar over, make sure you slide it in good and hard. I used a hammer to whack the handle of my vicegrips. Good luck, and I'd better get back to my spanish report on el Generalife de la Alhambra de Granada <_<