15k Service For Rx330

ntandonh

Hi All,

Need some advise. I'm nearing 15k on my RX330. The dealership service folks gave me an estimate of $450. I was told that this is going to be the first big service which would include: (1) Transmission Fluid change (2) Differential Oil change (3) Air Filter replacement (4) Brake Fluid Flushing (5) Tire Rotation (6) Brake inspection etc.

Questions:

1. Is it true that the car would need the above after 15K?

2. Can I just go to an independent mechanic and get this service done and perhaps pay 1/3 rd the cost?

3. Any future impact if I get this done outside the dealership?

Your help is appreciated. Thanks.

(1) Transmission Fluid change (2) Differential Oil change (3) Air Filter replacement (4) Brake Fluid Flushing (5) Tire Rotation (6) Brake inspection etc.

3 - Costs about 10-20 bucks (DYI)

5 - Costs $0, Takes about 15-30 min (DYI)

6 - Brake inspections cost a fortune these days!

Most they should charge you is 200.

I looked around at 15k and again at 30k (that one's $600) but decided to let Lexus do it for a couple reasons:

1. So it would be in the Lexus database since its a major service.

2. So I could get the loaner car.

I dropped the car off the afternoon before and picked it up the evening after so really I had their loaner RX330 for at least a day and a half. If you figure in the cost of the loaner the price really isn't that high. My mechanic was going to do it for somewhere around $250 but he needed it for at least 4 hours, I'd have been left without a car etc. At least thats how I rationalized it to myself lol.

If you do it yourself or have an independent mechanic do it make sure you keep your reciepts and only use the Toyota ATF.

(1) Transmission Fluid change (2) Differential Oil change (3) Air Filter replacement (4) Brake Fluid Flushing (5) Tire Rotation (6) Brake inspection etc.

3 - Costs about 10-20 bucks (DYI)

5 - Costs $0, Takes about 15-30 min (DYI)

6 - Brake inspections cost a fortune these days!

Most they should charge you is 200.

That's nonsense.

When you pay for service at a Lexus dealer, you're getting a lot more than doing it yourself. If you can do it yourself for $200, then $450 at a Lexus dealer is a fair price. Don't forget that they have to:

1. provide you a loaner (you'd probably pay at least $50 to rent an RX for the day)

2. pay competitive salaries, plus taxes, plus benefits (you're not including the value of your time in the $200 figure you made up, right?)

3. pay for a fully equipped shop

4. pay for insurance in case something goes wrong

5. have all the latest knowledge of all the details on the car

6. use genuine OEM parts

Now, if you can find another shop who will do all that for less, then you might want to consider it. But saying that Lexus is too expensive because you can do it yourself for less is just plain silly.

"Agreed. But how to change differential fluid?"

The differential drain plug is located directly behind the automatic transmission fluid pan. Just like the automatic transmission fluid pan's drain plug, it is removed with a 10 mm Allen wrench. Pull the plug and approximately one quart of fluid will drain from the differential. Clean the debris that you'll see collected on the magnet located on the inside tip of the plug.

Drain the automatic transmission fluid pan first, then the differential. Replace both drain plugs and refill your vehicle with ONLY Toyota Type T-IV transmission fluid, using a small funnel through the transmission dipstick tube. Check your fluid level frequently over the next several days to ensure that you've gotten it right in both hot and cold conditions.

This is so easy that anyone not afraid to crawl underneath their vehicle can do it.

1. provide you a loaner (you'd probably pay at least $50 to rent an RX for the day)

More than that, cars similar to the Lexus' they give as loaners cost as much as $150 a day here. $50 a day will get you something like a Grand Marquis or a Crown Vic.