Battery Or What?

gbls

I just bought this 94' LS this weekend and other than replacing a couple of rear tail light bulbs it's ever so clean. BUT NOW! This afternoon I got in to start it up and it acted like it didn't wanna start. I tried it again then it fired right up. Went out, it was fine. Got home it sat for about 2hrs, went to take off again and the same thing happened. I checked to battery connection and everything was fine....If this continues is another battery the fix or I'm I in for something else...Is there a doctor in the house, LOL. :blink:

You are a lucky boy. If it's only the battery, you should be thankful. My Lexus has gone through 3 batteries in 5 years. But so what? Name me another $50 Lexus repair.

Run down to the nearest auto parts store, swap out the battery, and consider yourself lucky. The cost to repair almost anything else on a Lexus borders on extortion. On this forum, you will have a Lexus learning curve that will scare you to death. Power steering, timing belts, fuel filters, etc. 1, 2 Grand is average. Nothing is cheap on a Lexus. I gave up trying to change the distributor cap and rotor-the instructions were 15 pages long, involving tools I've never heard of. So the parts sit in my garage.

Best bet is to have a backup Beater. When 1 or 2 grand is looking you in the eye, you realize that a classy ride is not as important as a ride to work. I love my used Lexus-it's just that the car is like a woman-Full of surprises that will cost you a lot of money, if you want to keep the ride.

You know Texes, if it is just the battery(xfingers) then lucky I'll be indeed. Whn I called Lex service they told me It was due for a new one. So, I'm gonna do the battery thing & hopefully that'll be that. Come to think about...the car started doing this after I replaced a blown brake light and a tail light... Maybe I got an electrical problem....maybe not......Xfingers

Does your car do this...

1) when you try it, at first it just goes "click" each time you crank the key

2) after a few clicks it catches and cranks normally and starts normally?

- If so it's your starter solenoid.

If your starter does nothing, turns slowly, or repeatedly clicks quickly, then it's likely the battery. As mentioned it wouldn't hurt to have the battery load tested.

HTH,

Aaron

Trust me. If you can replace the battery at an auto parts store, or at home and return the "core" to the store, you're doing great. If the battery goes dead later, then your "diagnosis" of something else being wrong results in that you only spent $50 bucks-and you still have a new battery. One less thing to worry about with your new, used car. Don't go to the Lexus dealer-please.

Solenoids and other electrical problems are another story-wait until you've tried a new battery. Lexus dealers will fill you with dread. Pack of thieves, for sure....

Problem solved...It was the orginal battery the car came with back in 94...wow! 50 bucks and ditry hands is all it cost me. Thanks to all for the heads up.  B)

WOW...a 10 year old battery? I would love it if my battery lasted even half of that.