'95 Starting

Greydog

I'm new here and have a problem with the LW's '95 LS400.

Nearly every morning, when she tries to start her car, she turns the key and....nothing, no clicky-clicky or anything. When she tries again it will either groan (like a discharged battery....it's new) or start right up. A third try always starts it.

The rest of the day it starts just fine unless it has benn sitting for a long-long time.

I've tried leaving the lights on for a while to simulate a low battery, but unless it's the first start of the day, it starts right up.

I suppose there could be a dead spot in the starter, but I'd think it would be less predictable.

The Lexus dealer wants to put a new starter in it to the tune of $ 1,200.00. I would like to do that as a last resort.

The car has clocked 89k miles and will be due for the 90k before long. If no one has any ideas, I guess I'll bite the bullet then.

Thanks for any ideas,

Greydog

I'm new here and have a problem with the LW's '95  LS400.

Nearly every morning, when she tries to start her car, she turns the key and....nothing, no clicky-clicky or anything. When she tries again it will either groan (like a discharged battery....it's new) or start right up. A third try always starts it.

The rest of the day it starts just fine unless it has benn sitting for a long-long time. 

I've tried leaving the lights on for a while to simulate a low battery, but unless it's the first start of the day, it starts right up.

I suppose there could be a dead spot in the starter, but I'd think it would be less predictable.

The Lexus dealer wants to put a new starter in it to the tune of $ 1,200.00. I would like to do that as a last resort.

The car has clocked 89k miles and will be due for the 90k before long. If no one has any ideas, I guess I'll bite the bullet then.

Thanks for any ideas,

Greydog

Check all electrical connections first...especially at the starter. If not..then the starter is most likely. At $1200 for a starter...I believe I would become hands on really quick.

• 1 month later...
Where's the starter located?

Buried under the intake manifold according to manual. I have a pdf file on it if someone needs to go there. Starter is same design as a Toyota starter by pictures in diagram.

May I get the PDF file as well? Same starting problems on my '98 LS400. NNovo@satx.rr.com Thanks

• 1 month later...