Rx300 Tranny Fluid Changing

:whistles:

I was cruising the topics and came upon one regarding the tranny having difficulties after an owner changed the fluid. If I remember correctly, someone who shall remain nameless (because I can't remember their name :P ) said it was because people were not using the super-duper, extremely, astronomically expensive tranny fluid from the Lexus dealerships. So my questions are these: Has anyone changed their fluid using a regular store bought tranny fluid? What brand/type did you buy? Did you have any problems after putting the store bought in? I used to drive a really old junker (yep, you guessed it - a Ford skateboard) that would stall and hesitate if you looked at it wrong, so I'm enjoying my not-really-hesitating-as-far-as-I-can-tell tranny and I don't want to ruin my bliss. I've got a '99 that now has about 60,000 miles on it. Any suggestions regarding this?

Thanks

You're a fool if you use anything other than Toyota Type T-IV transmission fluid - period. But don't buy it from Lexus - buy it from Toyota. It will be significantly less expensive.

With all the RX transmission problems out there, why risk using anything else particularly when the documentation warns you against doing so??

I totally agree. One of the specifications of not only the normal Lexus warranty but the extended warranty on the transmission is that only the Toyota T-IV fluid be used. It really is a very advanced fluid that cannot really be duplicated aftermarket as it has several patents on its formulation. Even if it weren't, you might save a few bucks here but you'd think that was pretty foolish if your transmission fails and you've got a $5000 bill because you cheaped on fluid.