High Octane Gas?

liteeyez2001

Hey guys...what exactly does higher octane gas do for ur car...

I know it burns cleaner...but does it burn slower...lol...or does all gas burn the same(as far as MPG) IS the ride better...as far as engine noise and things like that...

Educate me...

I currently use the middle grade (89 octane)...but i will start using 91 octane...

I know it burns cleaner...but does it burn slower...lol...or does all gas burn the same(as far as MPG) IS the ride better...as far as engine noise and things like that...

I currently use the middle grade (89 octane)...but i will start using 91 octane...

Actually you got it slightly backwards. It may or may not burn cleaner (depending on the definition of cleaner), but it DOES burn slower. That is exactly what octane is. Octane is a detonation retardant, meaning it takes more heat/pressure to explode, and the flame front will burn slower.

Octane also displaces the hydrocarbons in the gas. Meaning octane is NOT fuel, and the more octane in the gas, the less raw fuel. Higher octane gas than recommended will not make more power, unless the engine is tuned to take advantage of the higher octane.

Also, lower octane will reduce power in our engines. They were designed to run on 91-92 octane, so with 89 they may pre-ignite the mixture, and the knock sensors will !Removed! your timing automatically, hurting your performance.

Best thing to do??? If you car calls for 87 use it, if your car calls for 91 use it. There is no benefit to going with higher octane, and you can severly damage some engines by using less octane.

Hope this helps,

Aaron

Actually you got it slightly backwards. It may or may not burn cleaner (depending on the definition of cleaner), but it DOES burn slower. That is exactly what octane is. Octane is a detonation retardant, meaning it takes more heat/pressure to explode, and the flame front will burn slower.

Octane also displaces the hydrocarbons in the gas. Meaning octane is NOT fuel, and the more octane in the gas, the less raw fuel. Higher octane gas than recommended will not make more power, unless the engine is tuned to take advantage of the higher octane.

Also, lower octane will reduce power in our engines. They were designed to run on 91-92 octane, so with 89 they may pre-ignite the mixture, and the knock sensors will !Removed! your timing automatically, hurting your performance.

Best thing to do??? If you car calls for 87 use it, if your car calls for 91 use it. There is no benefit to going with higher octane, and you can severly damage some engines by using less octane.

Hope this helps,

Aaron

so basically use what i want 2...if 91 burns slower i'd go with the 91...but then u said their is no benefit 2 going with a high octane...then u said that using less octane can damage some engines...so which 1? i'm confused...

so basically use what i want 2...if 91 burns slower i'd go with the 91...but then u said their is no benefit 2 going with a high octane...then u said that using less octane can damage some engines...so which 1? i'm confused...

Re-read this sentence...

"Best thing to do??? If you car calls for 87 use it, if your car calls for 91 use it. There is no benefit to going with higher octane, and you can severly damage some engines by using less octane."

What this means is, a Lexus that says it needs 91 octane will not see a benefit in going higher than 91. No more performance that is. And you may damage the engine running a lower octane all the time.

Just do what your manual tells you to do.

Aaron