96 Ls 400 Will Start, But No Other Power

lexuscar

HELP !!!

My 1996 LS 400 will starts and able to turn on the headlights. However, nothing else is working - no radio, no window, no seat power. Also can not change gear from Parking to Drive.

If the battery is dead, why I am able to start the car? Maybe the battey is weak?

I will try to replace with a new battery tomorrow to see if that resolve this problem.

Help, Help !

Lexuscar

What about the charge of the battery, hence the alternator? With the engine running, check the battery terminal with a voltmeter. It should read at least 14 volts. When you mention you couldn't shift from Park to Drive, do you mean you couldn't physically move the shifter knob or does the car die as soon as you shift in to Drive?

What about the charge of the battery, hence the alternator?  With the engine running, check the battery terminal with a voltmeter.  It should read at least 14 volts.  When you mention you couldn't shift from Park to Drive, do you mean you couldn't physically move the shifter knob or does the car die as soon as you shift in to Drive?

The car is starting. Physically I can not move the shifter knob from parking to drive. I did not have a volt meter last night, i will get some test done today.

Thanks,

Lexuscar

What about the charge of the battery, hence the alternator?  With the engine running, check the battery terminal with a voltmeter.  It should read at least 14 volts.  When you mention you couldn't shift from Park to Drive, do you mean you couldn't physically move the shifter knob or does the car die as soon as you shift in to Drive?

The car is starting. Physically I can not move the shifter knob from parking to drive. I did not have a volt meter last night, i will get some test done today.

Thanks,

Lexuscar

If the car starts the battery is probably ok the windows and such take far less amperage than the starter try checking the fusible links there are 3 of them under the hood behind the battery they are about 1 inch square and different colors depending on current range. PS they bolt in they do not plug in

yeah, check all the fuses as well as relays, but it is prolly is fuse.

had to jump start battery (MY FAULT) then no speedometer or cluster lights..Finally checked fuses under hood..next to battery..one fuse had tripped and just needed to be pushed back in..SUCCESS..do you have a manuel? it shows to insert screwdriver in slot next to gear shift..good luck..98 lexus

I highly doubt that is the battery since the automobile engine is starting. Probably a bad fuse, relay or a short in the wiring system. Probably a blown fuse. I would check that first, but I would not waste my money on a new battery.