Exterior Plastic / Metal Trim On Rx 300

Hello all - I was looking for the detailing forum, but I continue to get an error. Regardless, I have a '99 RX 300. The exterior plastic or metal trim on outside of driver's window is an very bad condition. I've seen it before on other cars, the previous driver (from Northeast) used to drive with window rolled down and arm hanging out. Perspiration and dirt accumulated and literally ate away at the metal or plastic, including the clear coat around the trim. I wondering what type of product might bring this back to life. I have seen many, but would appreciate any suggestions.

Also, around windows on other areas of car, the rubber sealant around the windows is extremely dirty and degraded. I have attempted to clean with an Armour All cleaner and then go over with regular Armour All. It has helped some, but not to where I would like it to be. Also, I don't think that regular Armour All is good on exterior trim because when it rains, the water runs through Armour All and then down my paint. It wipes away easy enough, but I don't think it's good for it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Once rubber weatherstripping begins to degrade and break down, you can try every product on the market to bring it back but the only acceptable solution is to replace the weatherstripping itself. After five or six years in most temperate climates, the typical automotive weatherstripping begins to lose its flex capacity and ability to reform and grip, and must therefore be replaced. Keeping your vehicle garaged and out of the elements will help preserve your rubber's lifespan. The biggest enemy of your weatherstripping (as well as your paint, your leather, your interior, etc.) is the sun. The less direct sun exposure your vehicle has, the longer these individual components will last.

RX in NC - are you referring to the weatherstrip rubber around the sealed windows, or the plastic trim piece on outside of driver door window? The rubber around the sealed windows is bad, but not degraded to point of breaking apart or leaking. It just doesn't look good. The trim piece under the driver's side window annoys me more at this point. Is this a piece that Lexus would carry?

Unfortunately, I have an old house without a garage, so it does get exposure, but I protect my cars as best I can.

Thanks for the response.

I'm referring to the actual rubber weatherstripping, not plastic pieces. If it's the plastic pieces that are troubling you, you may get better results by trying various plastic cleaners then following up with a clearcoat of some type. But old, worn-out rubber pieces can't be restored - they must be replaced. All vehicle manufacturers sell replacement weatherstripping pieces, but they may have to be ordered for you. And I guarantee you that Lexus prices these pieces at sky-high levels. Perhaps there are some other sourcing options on the net that you can research. Try typing "automotive weatherstripping" into your search engine of choice and see what you come up with.

The weatherstripping from Lexus is actually pretty inexpensive.

The best product for you to use is some sort of trim restorer perhaps maybe Poorboys Trim Restorer. These will deep clean the plastic and remove all the imbedded oils and contamination. Then you can protect them with something like 303 Aerospace Protectant. THis is about the most advanced plastic protectant out there.

The peices may very well be beyond repair though. I'm going to move this to the detailing forum for ya.

The dealership (any dealership, not just Lexus) is always going to significantly overcharge you for the repair of trim work, and the mechanic who winds up with your job may do a great valve job but not have much experience replacing rubber trim. You can go to a body shop, but my first call would be to an established, well-respected shop that specializes in aftermarket installation of features such as sunroofs, convertible tops, leather interiors, etc. We have one here in Raleigh that I've used for more than 20 years. They have two or three craftsmen who've been there longer than I've been going there, and these guys have done thousands of weatherstripping replacement jobs, their prices are extremely reasonable, and the quality of work is unparalleled because they count on repeat business. When my daughter's Grand Cherokee sunroof motor failed last November, I took it straight to them without even calling the Jeep dealership because of their superior craftsmenship. They removed the sunroof (which required taking down the headliner, never a pleasant job), tested the motor and cables, found a faulty relay, replaced it, and meticulously put everything back together better than new. An annoying occasional rattle in the sunroof that had been there for a year or so was gone along with the motor being repaired. I waited on the vehicle in their office that day, and it was a two-hour job. Total cost was $80. You just can't beat service and quality like that. When you modify and restore old tops, rubber, leather, and interiors for very valuable antique automobiles for a living, you develop the "art" of working with trim.

Look in your Yellow Pages under automotive service and focus on the folks who do interior work, tops, leather, and trim. That's your best bet. The best shops will have albums of photos of before-and-after restorations they've done. They will also have letters of appreciation from many customers over the years. Spend some time looking at these photos and letters before you turn over your vehicle for repairs. Weatherstripping replacement involves skill, technique, the right tools and materials, and the craftsmanship to put the new piece in place even better than the factory did with the original one. That's extremely important because any leak will lead to rust, mold, rot, and greater problems down the road. Good luck.

~One mans opinion / observations~

Sort of / kind of subject related…your best maintenance product once you’ve got the weather stripping replaced would be a Sunbrella car cover to protect the vehicle from Florida sun, Sunbrella has the best UVR protection of the various car covers

Greetings from Florida the [sunshine] plywood state <_<

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon