Gx470 With Vertical Comparisons

Gobblewine

I bought a 04 GX470 (Built 9600E) back in April, a great silver metallic beauty, and should be able to give you sound comment on the car since my family has a ’00 MB S500 and a ’95 Toyota Camry to compare with. I have a 3-month old baby daughter and another 2-year old so you know I got my GX for all the right reason.

Best features:

1. Smooth and strong engine/transmission performance. The extra torque comes in handy when riding the fun off-road terrain.

2. Lush interior build and design.

3. Good ML audio performance and with perhaps too much bass punch. Highly recommend taking advantage of the DVD-Audio Disc support feature. I popped in “Cry” by Faith Hill and it sounded fantastic with the surround sound and all the little details.

4. High clearance and visibility at the helm. Truck rides pretty smooth but sensitive to road imperfections.

5. Rear seat entertainment a must for my babies (and it worked EVERYTIME)

Can use more improvements (more like small pickings anyway):

1. Outside mirrors to auto fold in and out.

2. Electric rear door close/rear quarter windows.

3. MB 4-Matic type transmission for gear selections.

4. The NAV control function gray out while in motion (my wife should be allowed to input nav points)

5. Air con should have manual buttons in contrast to touch panel functions. I always thought what happens if the LCD panel went down. Ouch !!

6. Option for cell phone functions.

7. 8-way + passenger seat adjustment plus lumbar support.

So here is my vertical take on actual performance with my two other rides. Please remember the S500 is a $ 100K car and a lux sedan while my Camry a mere $ 25K so I am a true believer of what you get is what you paid for. And of course I am not comparing SUV to SUV but if you are shopping for a do-it-all car, I am afraid there is no such thing :(

On the Highway:

S500: Smooth as silk, quiet and rides bumps like its not even there. It has to do with its sophisticated suspension system, low center gravity and of course thick metal plus double-paned windows always helps.

GX470: Smooth but not as S500, satisfactorily quiet but again not as S500. Wind noise can easily be detected around the windshield. Resonance can be improved. I literally hear and see my rear door window shakes when some crazy kids drive up behind with a truck with some serious bass pumping and you’ll get the idea. Ride bumps not as civil but still great even for a truck.

Camry: Well, what do you expect ? It rides just like another Camry.

Off-road:

S500: Are you kidding me ?

GX470: Excellent vehicle for prowling through terrains. Torque at low range/gear is fun. Ride and bump with a sporty attitude and all these fun Lexus off road technologies are fun to play with. If you have this car, gotta take it off road at least once a while for fun.

Camry: Don’t bother.

Interiors sound:

S500: Sharp Boss stereo even at low volume. Plenty of bass power. CD changer in trunk is really a drag.

GX470: Best of all 3 vehicles with outrageous 14-speaker ML system. Low volume sound quality is not as good as Boss. Plug in a mini iPod player via tape/FM transmitter is a big NO NO. Sounded terrible with huge loss of fidelity. The ML system is not designed to be trashed with low end feed.

Camry: Stock stereo system. Enough said.

Interior seatings:

S500: Excellent front seatings with every way adjustments possible for driver and passenger. Napa leather quality is sturdier and I believe higher notch.

GX470: Great feel for body contour and well trimmed.

Camry: Fabric and cloth. Enough said.

When in-laws come over:

S500: Tight quarters for everyone in the car (4+2)

GX470: Perfect for this role. Even the tight third-row seat is plenty for my 2-year old with car seat. DVDs keep the noise down, too.

Camry: Never even tried.

Need to show off: (Nobody does this anymore but us ?)

S500: Certainly no embarrassment here.

GX470: Great SUV beauty with Lexus brand. Enough said.

Camry: What do you think ?

Need to park at SFO/BART/UC Berkeley

S500: Don’t think so.

GX470: Never thought about it.

Camry: Yessssss, it’s me.

Got a two car garage:

Guess which car we parked out on the street ?

Friends who need to borrow a car:

You know which one they get !!!

LOL I enjoyed that.

I always have wondered why Lexus didn't design the nav system so that when the passenger seat occupation sensor that activates the pass. airbags shows someone is in the passenger seat the functions still work.

I bought a 04 GX470 (Built 9600E) back in April, a great silver metallic beauty, and should be able to give you sound comment on the car since my family has a ’00 MB S500 and a ’95 Toyota Camry to compare with. I have a 3-month old baby daughter and another 2-year old so you know I got my GX for all the right reason.

Best features:

1. Smooth and strong engine/transmission performance. The extra torque comes in handy when riding the fun off-road terrain.

3. Good ML audio performance and with perhaps too much bass punch. Highly recommend taking advantage of the DVD-Audio Disc support feature. I popped in “Cry” by Faith Hill and it sounded fantastic with the surround sound and all the little details.

4. High clearance and visibility at the helm. Truck rides pretty smooth but sensitive to road imperfections.

4. The NAV control function gray out while in motion (my wife should be allowed to input nav points)

5. Air con should have manual buttons in contrast to touch panel functions. I always thought what happens if the LCD panel went down. Ouch !!

So here is my vertical take on actual performance with my two other rides. Please remember the S500 is a $ 100K car and a lux sedan while my Camry a mere $ 25K so I am a true believer of what you get is what you paid for. And of course I am not comparing SUV to SUV but if you are shopping for a do-it-all car, I am afraid there is no such thing :(

On the Highway:

S500: Smooth as silk, quiet and rides bumps like its not even there. It has to do with its sophisticated suspension system, low center gravity and of course thick metal plus double-paned windows always helps.

GX470: Smooth but not as S500, satisfactorily quiet but again not as S500. Wind noise can easily be detected around the windshield. Resonance can be improved. I literally hear and see my rear door window shakes when some crazy kids drive up behind with a truck with some serious bass pumping and you’ll get the idea. Ride bumps not as civil but still great even for a truck.

Camry: Well, what do you expect ? It rides just like another Camry.

Off-road:

S500: Are you kidding me ?

GX470: Excellent vehicle for prowling through terrains. Torque at low range/gear is fun. Ride and bump with a sporty attitude and all these fun Lexus off road technologies are fun to play with. If you have this car, gotta take it off road at least once a while for fun.

Camry: Don’t bother.

Interiors sound:

S500: Sharp Boss stereo even at low volume. Plenty of bass power. CD changer in trunk is really a drag.

GX470: Best of all 3 vehicles with outrageous 14-speaker ML system. Low volume sound quality is not as good as Boss. Plug in a mini iPod player via tape/FM transmitter is a big NO NO. Sounded terrible with huge loss of fidelity. The ML system is not designed to be trashed with low end feed.

Camry: Stock stereo system. Enough said.

Interior seatings:

S500: Excellent front seatings with every way adjustments possible for driver and passenger. Napa leather quality is sturdier and I believe higher notch.

Camry: Fabric and cloth. Enough said.

When in-laws come over:

S500: Tight quarters for everyone in the car (4+2)

GX470: Perfect for this role. Even the tight third-row seat is plenty for my 2-year old with car seat. DVDs keep the noise down, too.

Camry: Never even tried.

S500: Certainly no embarrassment here.

GX470: Great SUV beauty with Lexus brand. Enough said.

Camry: What do you think ?

S500: Don’t think so.

Camry: Yessssss, it’s me.

Got a two car garage:

Very Entertaining and right on the money!

;)

:D Thanks Gobblewine for the very informative and funny comparisons. My third car is a 1998 Camry (was my parents car), so I was laughing and nodding my head in total agreement. The Camry doesn't get a whole lot of respect but it never falters in taking on the tightest of parking spots, stormy weather and camping out at the curb every night.

• 2 weeks later...
I bought a 04 GX470 (Built 9600E) back in April, a great silver metallic beauty, and should be able to give you sound comment on the car since my family has a ’00 MB S500 and a ’95 Toyota Camry to compare with.  I have a 3-month old baby daughter and another 2-year old so you know I got my GX for all the right reason.

Best features:

1. Smooth and strong engine/transmission performance.  The extra torque comes in handy when riding the fun off-road terrain.

3. Good ML audio performance and with perhaps too much bass punch.  Highly recommend taking advantage of the DVD-Audio Disc support feature.  I popped in “Cry” by Faith Hill and it sounded fantastic with the surround sound and all the little details.

4. High clearance and visibility at the helm.  Truck rides pretty smooth but sensitive to road imperfections.

5. Air con should have manual buttons in contrast to touch panel functions.  I always thought what happens if the LCD panel went down.  Ouch !!

So here is my vertical take on actual performance with my two other rides.  Please remember the S500 is a $ 100K car and a lux sedan while my Camry a mere $ 25K so I am a true believer of what you get is what you paid for.  And of course I am not comparing SUV to SUV but if you are shopping for a do-it-all car, I am afraid there is no such thing :(

On the Highway:

S500:  Smooth as silk, quiet and rides bumps like its not even there.  It has to do with its sophisticated suspension system, low center gravity and of course thick metal plus double-paned windows always helps.

GX470:  Smooth but not as S500, satisfactorily quiet but again not as S500.  Wind noise can easily be detected around the windshield.  Resonance can be improved.  I literally hear and see my rear door window shakes when some crazy kids drive up behind with a truck with some serious bass pumping and you’ll get the idea.  Ride bumps not as civil but still great even for a truck.

Camry:  Well, what do you expect ?  It rides just like another Camry. 

Off-road:

S500:  Are you kidding me ?

GX470:  Excellent vehicle for prowling through terrains.  Torque at low range/gear is fun.  Ride and bump with a sporty attitude and all these fun Lexus off road technologies are fun to play with.  If you have this car, gotta take it off road at least once a while for fun.

Camry:  Don’t bother.

Interiors sound:

S500:  Sharp Boss stereo even at low volume.  Plenty of bass power.  CD changer in trunk is really a drag. 

GX470:  Best of all 3 vehicles with outrageous 14-speaker ML system.  Low volume sound quality is not as good as Boss.  Plug in a mini iPod player via tape/FM transmitter is a big NO NO.  Sounded terrible with huge loss of fidelity.  The ML system is not designed to be trashed with low end feed.

Camry: Stock stereo system.  Enough said.

Interior seatings:

S500:  Excellent front seatings with every way adjustments possible for driver and passenger.  Napa leather quality is sturdier and I believe higher notch.

Camry:  Fabric and cloth.  Enough said.

When in-laws come over:

S500:  Tight quarters for everyone in the car (4+2)

GX470:  Perfect for this role.  Even the tight third-row seat is plenty for my 2-year old with car seat.  DVDs keep the noise down, too.

Camry:  Never even tried.

S500:  Certainly no embarrassment here.

GX470:  Great SUV beauty with Lexus brand.  Enough said.

Camry:  What do you think ?

S500:  Don’t think so.

Camry:  Yessssss, it’s me.

Got a two car garage:

lol :lol: u got me LMAO!! :lol::cheers: