Brake Padswhich Is Oem On 1998 Gs400?

I am in the process of buying some brake pads. The guy at the brake shop told me that Ceramics go on the back, and semi-metallics go on the front. That didn't make sense to me so I asked a mechanic friend of mine. He says that Ceramics go on the front, and semi-metallics go on the back. I figured that I could put semi-metallics on the front and back. Any one know the correct specification. Thanks

I just call my Lexus dealer and say "hey, gimme' a set-o-pads." They work well and have been quiet. Went with the "aftermarket" when I needed brakes for inspection. It wasn't long before I was using the real thing again. All kinds of squeaking.

OEM is neither metallic or ceramic as Lexus explains below in its owner FAQ at lexus.com

Brake Pad Materials

Question: What materials are used in the Lexus brake pad?

Answer:  The brake pad material of Lexus vehicles is chosen for normal driving and is composed of many different materials, including non-asbestos friction materials, filler materials, and high temperature resins. Some of our pads also include very, very small amounts of finely powdered metal. This amount of metal is so small that we do not refer to these pads as metallic. The different materials for the "recipe" for a particular year and model are mixed together, compressed, and formed into the desired shape.