Modifying Navigation

bcable

Alright, instead of complaining about things, I am going to ask for specific answers.

I have a 2005 RX330 with navigation.

I would like to watch dvds on my navigation screen and I have heard that there is a way to modify the system to allow this. Does anyone know how to do this?

I also want to disconnect the sensor on the navigation that tells it the car is moving to allow me to dial my cell phone through the bluetooth connection while driving. Does anyone know how to do this?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Alright, instead of complaining about things, I am going to ask for specific answers.

I have a 2005 RX330 with navigation.

I would like to watch dvds on my navigation screen and I have heard that there is a way to modify the system to allow this.  Does anyone know how to do this?

I also want to disconnect the sensor on the navigation that tells it the car is moving to allow me to dial my cell phone through the bluetooth connection while driving.  Does anyone know how to do this?

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

did you have any luck with this? i'm trying to do the same thing.

Nope. Have not figured it out yet. I have read some things in other places that say you can disconnect a wire, but by doing so you will mess up the navigation. If I hear anything, I will post it; please do the same.

Nope.  Have not figured it out yet.  I have read some things in other places that say you can disconnect a wire, but by doing so you will mess up the navigation.  If I hear anything, I will post it; please do the same.

will do...thanks for the quick reply. :cheers:

I know that there are websites that offer the conversion of Navigation to TV (and DVD). One is nav-tv.com, but I have never heard of anyone actually doing it. Also, I think disconnecting the wire to change that safety feature might be against the laws of some states. I am very interested in this also and wonder if anyone has any experience with this issue.

• 1 month later...
Check out the link below.

This mod will let you have that and more... (DVD on Nav, camera on anytime).

http://www.siennaclub.org/forum/index.php?...indpost&p=45319

that diagram is great!!! it might as well be in a different language though :cries:

i guess i'll just test my luck with an audio shop and see if they can come up with something.

Ok i just did a 2005 rx 330 what this mod does is it lets you dial the phone off the nav screen while your driving. It doesnt screw up nav at all. Start with bezel around shifter pull it up starting at bottom left corner you dont need to use any tool for this just your nails. Once that is removed the panel with the cig lighter and heated seats is next pull it towards you two clips holding it in. disconnect wires running to that panel.Next below radio you will see two gold 10mm bolts remove those. Put your head down by the shifter and look up in to cavity below vol and tunning knob you will see two more gold bolts they have to be removed make sure you dont drop these cause if you do there gone.Take all cd's out of changer. Remove radio by pulling it straight out there is four clips holding it in. Remove all wires and two antennas. Place radio in safe place.Once radio is out look into the top of cavety again you will see two gold bolts facing up remove them now you are ready to pull nav screen out there is four clips holding that in also. Get a old t shirt to rap around the nav assembly so you dont scratch anything. OK if you got this far congrats. Get in passenger side seat look at back of nav display you will see a bunch pastel colored wires the one you are looking for is the wire that is all the way to bottom left of the left plug light blue or baby blue cut that wire leave a little room on each side of wire so you can tape each side. Now you put it back together and you are all done. I hope this helps you guys. Good luck!!!

As far as being able to enter info into the nav when your driving. In the post above the blue wire you are cutting is the VSS wire (vehicle speed sence) this wire tell the touch screen that car is moving shut down. Which is not a problem the unit just thinks the car isnt moving. With the nav its a different story it needs to see how fast the car is going to opperate properly. You could put a switch this wire to shut it off enter info then turn it back on and the nav would then start working properly.

Ok now putting video into the nav screen the link above to the sienna club page what they are doing is they are piping the video thru the rear vue camera. there tricking the nav into thinkin the car is in reverse disconnecting the camera and then sending video from dvd in. thats why in the picture it say check surroundings for safety. So I hope this answers all your questions if not post more and ill try to help.

• 3 months later...
As far as being able to enter info into the nav when your driving. In the post above the blue wire you are cutting is the VSS wire (vehicle speed sence) this wire tell the touch screen that car is moving shut down. Which is not a problem the unit just thinks the car isnt moving. With the nav its a different story it needs to see how fast the car is going to opperate properly. You could put a switch this wire to shut it off enter info then turn it back on and the nav would then start working properly.

Zube.... Thanks for the great info..

A quick clarification to the above statement pls.. Are you saying that cutting the blue wire will enable both the blue tooth and the touch screen to enter the nav destination in one step without having to fiddle with two wires, or other things?

I understand that once you get the destination set, a switch would be needed to hook the speed sensor back up (some people said they tried it with just leaving it unhooked, and the nav painting is very slow)... Once the switch is turned on so its hooked back up, will the call from the blue tooth still be in progress, or will it disconnect you?

I'm hoping that I'll put this switch in, be able to set the destination point, call to make reservations (passenger only of course), then turn the switch back on so I can talk while I'm on my way.. :cheers:

BTW, we should boycot lexus for this stupid design.. They have the Agree button when you start moving.. anyway that's getting old.. just imagine the yellow guy is the lexus lawyer that started it all.. :chairshot:

I should have probably taken my salesmen's advice... he was having a hard time finding one with nav, and all the other options.. he said I might consider buying one without and then buying an external one that are much similar.... that wouldn't have any speed sensor wires.. and I don't see them having law suites from hell because people can enter destinations while driving there..

I could go on forever.. :censored:

Either way... thans for all the help so far... I'm heading to Radio Shak for some parts.. I'll let everyone know how the install goes.

Zube.... Thanks for the great info..

A quick clarification to the above statement pls.. Are you saying that cutting the blue wire will enable both the blue tooth and the touch screen to enter the nav destination in one step without having to fiddle with two wires, or other things?

I understand that once you get the destination set, a switch would be needed to hook the speed sensor back up (some people said they tried it with just leaving it unhooked, and the nav painting is very slow)... Once the switch is turned on so its hooked back up, will the call from the blue tooth still be in progress, or will it disconnect you?

I'm hoping that I'll put this switch in, be able to set the destination point, call to make reservations (passenger only of course), then turn the switch back on so I can talk while I'm on my way..:cheers:

BTW, we should boycot lexus for this stupid design.. They have the Agree button when you start moving.. anyway that's getting old.. just imagine the yellow guy is the lexus lawyer that started it all.. :chairshot:

I should have probably taken my salesmen's advice... he was having a hard time finding one with nav, and all the other options.. he said I might consider buying one without and then buying an external one that are much similar.... that wouldn't have any speed sensor wires.. and I don't see them having law suites from hell because people can enter destinations while driving there..

I could go on forever.. :censored:

Either way... thans for all the help so far... I'm heading to Radio Shak for some parts.. I'll let everyone know how the install goes.

My Mercedes Nav and phone work with the car in motion or not. It came that way, no mod necessary. I cannot play DVDs, but that is ok with me. That the RX does not allow the Nav and telephone work while in motion is odd, to me.

Perhaps the Japanese need to talk to the Germans about this.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'll try to put this into word without pics.

1.Remove bezel around shifter start at the bottom 4 clips

2.remove heated seat panel cig lighter 2 clips pull it toward you

3.you will see 2 gold 10mm bolts remove them 4. now you have to get your head down low and look up you will see a 10mm gold bolt on both sides of the radio remove them becareful not to lose them. 5. You need to grab the bottom of the radio and give it a little tug there is a couple of clips holding it in. 6. Now unplug 2 antenna's and 3 plugs going to the radio remove and set it aside.

7. Now that the radio is out of the way you will see 2 silver 10mm bolts facing up holding in the nav screen remove them.

8. Now tug on the bottom of the nav screen a couple of times and it should come out.

9. Have another person in the driver seat to hold the nav screen so you can do the work.

10. From the passenger seat when you look at the the back of the nav screen you will see a baby blue wire at the bottom left corner of the plug.

11. That baby blue wire cut it far enough away from the radio so you can reconnect it if you want to and tape both sides.

Now put it all back together in reverse.

And now you can dial from nav screen while driving.

This fix is for rx330/rx400

There should be an easier way to do this without the switch right? Cuz if the parking brake engages the DVD to start playing on the front screen, its just a grounding issue then. You should be able to just ground that wire and that should complete the circuit and allow you to play DVD movies on the screen. ANyone have access to wiring digatrams for the RX330, I might be able to figure out a better way the having to splice a switch.

There should be an easier way to do this without the switch right?  Cuz if the parking brake engages the DVD to start playing on the front screen, its just a grounding issue then.  You should be able to just ground that wire and that should complete the circuit and allow you to play DVD movies on the screen.  ANyone have access to wiring digatrams for the RX330, I might be able to figure out a better way the having to splice a switch.

As far as I know, the newest GS and LX (but not the RX) are both come with 6 disk DVD in dash which can play DVD while parking brake is being engaged which make it easier to do the DVD by pass.