Replacing Wiper Blades

gherisd

Hi. I have a 1997 Lexus LS400. The rubber on the wiper blades is starting to fall apart. I tried to replace it, but having a lot of difficulty in removing the blade. Is there any special tool / technique I need to remove the rubber blade? Appreciate any help anyone can provide. -Geri D.

are you removing just the rubber blade itself ? If so, they are a pain and no special tools are needed. Just keep pulling (HARD) and they will slide out. It might be easier to just replace the whole arm/blade as a unit. Yes, they're more money but they usually work better since the tension on the arm is just right.

You can buy new rubber blade inserts at your dealer. Be sure to keep the metal backing plates that fit along both sides of the rubber.

At the bottom end of the blade you will see where the "hook" on the blade support fits into a small slot on the rubber insert. Get the hook out of the slot and then just slide the rubber insert and backing plates right out.

Install the backing plates into the new rubber and slide the new rubber into the blade support. Be sure to lock the hook into the small slot to secure the insert.

Tom