Battery Went On My 2001 Es

nicksan

Hi all,

While I was away on my vacation for a week, I had my friend move the car for me. (D*mn NY Alternate side parking...)

The 3rd day after I left he tried to move the car for the first time and the engine wouldn't start.

Anyways, I got back yesterday and the car was completely dead. I have a portable jumper so I managed to jump the car and recharge by driving around for 30 minutes. Things are back to normal, at least for now.

Car is a 2001 ES with 22k miles on it...yeah the one with MANY problems purchased CPO...been yapping about it for a while now!

I had them do the remote starter thing so the dealer did mess with the elecetrical system. A month ago the clock went dead. I also notice that the lights flicker slightly even when idling and not operating the windows and other electrical devices in the car. When I do use the windows or hit the brakes it flickers pretty hard.

Also the heated seats control doesn't work as intended. Both of them control the driver side...none of them works for the passenger side.

So I'm starting to suspect that they botched up the wiring when installing the remote starter.

Either that or the battery is old.

How often does a typical factory battery last in the ES?

Thanks People!

Nick

How often does a typical factory battery last in the ES?

That's a tough question to answer accurately since there are too many factors involved. Knowing the history of the car is pretty important. Such as, was the battery ever completely discharged and re-charged? Was the car subjected to using a lot of the accessories. What type of weather conditions was the battery used in mostly. These things will shorten the battery life.

On my '94ES, used mostly in the NYC area, the original Lexus battery lasted about 4 years, and the second battery, a Sears Diehard Gold lasted about 6 years.

Personally, I would get a new battery. ;)

On my '01 ES, the factory battery was replaced on Nov. '03 with an Exide battery. The reason for replacement of the 2-1/2 year old battery was that there was not enough CCA's (cold cranking amps) left in the battery, and knowing that the winter would be coming up, I would have a really tough time starting up the car if I were to keep the stock battery.

Like Alan has mentioned, it's hard to predict the average life of a Lexus battery, so when you suspect the battery is almost on its way out, better off to replace the battery. I suggest the Diehard battery from Sears. Excellent battery for the Lexus with a great warranty.

take it to Bay Ridge under your CPO warranty and get a new battery if it is covered.

Better yet, go to Autozone and have them load test your current battery and test your charging system. If the alternator or battery come up suspect, THEN go to you service place and find out what if any is covered under you CPO. You may walk out with new battery or alternator or both.

steviej

I'm just concerned that they messed up the electrical during installation of the remote starter.

How much is the interior light supposed to dim when operating power windows and brake? As I mentioned, it does dim (flicker...whatever) even when idling and doing nothing else.

Obviously they messed with it since the heated seats are wired incorrectly...but I'm wondering if the wiring for that is anywhere near the wiring for a remote starter...

I guess I can replace the battery...but it's funny how I'm getting all these eletrical sympotoms...I wonder if I can get a new one under the CPO...I guess I'll ask...sigh...time to deal with the dealership again...

nicksan:

Did you ever get over to BayRidge Lexus to have them look at your car, and if you did how was your experience there?

I had the same flickering in my '94ES interior lights when hitting the brake pedal and turning on the lights until I replaced the battery, so I still feel you should get it changed first.

AMF,

I haven't gone to Bay Ridge there, though my intentions are to do so.

The main reason is that I do still need to get the "we owe" items fixed by Mass. since these things are between me and them, not Bay Ridge.

-new scratches

-heated seats wired incorrectly

-battery dead

-flickering lights

-passenger side window scar

Then I will take it to my bodyshop and do a full detail plus have them fix the bumper. IT will cost $400...but I'm sick and tired of waiting!

Lexus of Mass. excuse about the bumper was that the body shop they are using told them that matching the color was not possible since there will always be variation on these colors. Stupid idiots. My body shop guy will do the job right.

Once I get everything ironed out (going well into the second month now) I will never go to Mass. ever again. I will definitely go to Bay Ridge.

I got a $300 coupon from coporate Lexus as a good faith measure. I will use that to get the 25k mile service done.

Today, I jumped the car again since I needed to park on the other side of the street to avoid getting another ticket.

Man, that $50 jump starter I got from Target a few years ago is really paying dividends. I jumped my friend's car like 3 times, and now my Lexus 3 times.

Now that's value for you...unlike my ES.

...and I just noticed that the window framing (looks black from the interior) on the driver side has 2 dents...looks like from the hit that forced the previous owner to have the doors repainted...and the bumper color mismatched that was well documented in my other thread.

It's hard to catch every little thing when buying a CPO.

I'm taking it in on Wednesday...but I'm getting sick and tired out this sh*t.

Yesterday I jumped my car up again, drove around for an hour (until like 1 in the morning). I woke up this morning and tried to start the car...all I get was that dreded click-click-click sound. Dead again!!!

I called Corporate up...they said take it to the dealer...of course.

Man...what else could be wrong with this car!!!

CPO and all!!!!!!!

My Acura is starting to look LOVELY!!!

In fact I love my MDX...that's a reliable car. I take it everywhere.

I won't drive the ES without the portable jumper...I'd be broke without that thing.

OK, Lexus called me up and they said they will replace the batter under warranty. They said that it had developed a bad cell. Alternator checked out fine...

I guess when these things go, they just well...go.

Car was running fine...I left for my vacation, 3 days later my friend tried to move it to the other side of the road and it was dead...

No signs before that...well actually except the fact that I noticed that the lights were flickering even when idle...so maybe that was a sign that the battery was going? That was a short time before I went on vacation, when I was driving the car around to figure out a rattling problem I have. (That turns out to be the ceiling liner being lose...when I hold it in place the car is pretty silent)

As for the heated seats, they said they need to order some parts and then take it to an upholstry shop to install it.

I wonder if they figure out why both switches would activate the driver seat one though!!!

Lots more to go...they've had it since Wednesday...and my guess is it will be at least another week or two before it is done.

At least they gave me a RX330 loaner this time around.

Hoping for the best.

I just replace the battery on my 1996 SC400 (it was the original batttery)! I went with another Battery from the dealer (since the last one lasted over 8 years); hopefully it will lasted as long this time! Mostly highway driving could be the reason why it lasted so long!

• 2 months later...

Well, I've had the car now for over a month. They installed a new battery and they said they checked the alternator and came out clean.

Well, a few days ago, I tried to start the engine and it won't start. The battery was dead. I had to jumpstart it. Ever since it won't hold juice. I charge it up by driving around for like 45 minutes. THe next day it is dead again.

So looks like I have a nagging problem.

It's wierd. It was fine for like a month or so.

I would say that it was the weather, having been on a stormy day, but we've had several storms pass by during the 1 month period and never had problems.

I have another appt. next Tuesday...but it's frustrating you know?